Main Menu
Welcome Guest.
Please log in.

spamming the [trade channel

Started by Dleatherus, June 15, 2010, 01:32:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dleatherus

it might be it's just becos i'm a grouchy old goat, but i find folks who spam the same message in the [trade channel every 30 seconds annoying ... however this isn't intended as a rant, rather trying to point something out:

if you are desperately in need of something and are using the [trade channel to acquire it, i recommend announcing it in the [trade channel perhaps every 10-20 minutes and here is why ...

1) spamming your request every minute or so can cheeze off some of the players in the community, making it more likely that you will be placed on their ignore list, thus lowering the number of people who can potentially buy or sell whatever it is you're after

2) most folks who log in do so to stay for at least generally 30+ minutes (bod alts etc excluded), and if you announce every 10 minutes, they will see it at least 2 times, so you aren't gaining a larger 'audience' by spamming every 60 seconds (you're actually shrinking it - see comment above)

3) common respect and courtesy for your fellow players ... it's possible that over-spamming will have you thought of as being inconsiderate at the least by some, and perhaps even have you labeled as rude by others ... if you're wanting help with other things such as information, help with a hunt, just people to hang around and chat with, you're inadvertently narrowing the circle of people who might respond

hopefully this info is of help in you completing your [trade transactions  :)

Gizmo

This topic brings me to a thought. I have not looked at the latest version of knives chat system. Again, unsure if there is a toggle option to allow us to shut off various parts of the system. Like a View/No View Trade Channel, or a View/No View General Chat. If there is a system in place to do these things, anybody have a idea how to set this up in the basic part of the Knives Chat 3.0 system we have in place here?

Noyanu

spammers loses a lot of customers. I ignore spammers via player gump ( [c or [t ). Im sure many people does that as well..

King Kong

yes you have the option to turn off seeing the trade channel

but if I see this I will put a day ban from all chat on there.

Long Live the King... So please vote everyday. Cause I want to live.

Dleatherus

exactly noyanu ... it ironically hurts their cause as opposed to helping it

Jar Jar

Hmm this is a tough one to judge...

I personally am on the other side, i may 'spam' the trade channel, im not sure though lol.

i put at least a 10 minute timer on my trade msgs, is this spamming? What is the minimum pause people are happy with before it is thought of as spamming?

Obviously the best market for me is on here, the 'market' forums.. However i know that not everyone on pandora looks at the forums (which is a shame) so i also ask for trades ingame over the chat channel, mainly for rare items i know your average joe probably wont have. I put a timer of 10 minutes because i know that will give me the best chance for online players to see the post, and it seemed like a decent amount of time not 2 bug ppl. Maybe ill bump it up to 20, i dont want to lose trade privelages for 24 hours   :)

Belegerandh

Ten minutes isn't spamming. It's when you can hear the 'infomercial' in your head after you log out, word for word .. see it when your eyes are closed all scrollin up in the ether. Some of those dude do that and I really don't think they know what they're doing to themselves and others. 'Ignore' isn't something I do lightly; just something I almost refuse to do but if I see them one day getting knocked down by a mob I may just stand there in stealth mode and laugh.  :lol: lol

Dleatherus

yup, 10 minutes is very reasonable in my mind jerry ... it gets the msg out without the brainwashing effect

bel ... i'm with you on the not putting people on ignore lightly ... had ta laff about the standing there and laffing while in stealth comment

like i sed, the post is meant to point out the damage the spammers are doing to themselves, since i {and i was correct in presuming others also)can simply put them on ignore and not hear from them, for any reason, again

Pandora's New Global Chat

Updates & Events

White Walker Invasion Event by Miki McNaughty
[June 03, 2020, 03:52:32 AM]

Community

Need help please by Konan
[October 02, 2023, 12:49:41 PM]

Hi there, Im Coragin, my intro and a couple questions. by Coragin
[May 31, 2022, 01:16:13 AM]

Looking For Guild by Lovemachine100111
[May 06, 2022, 11:01:22 AM]

Saying Hello by Roxxorman