Welcome Guest.
Please log in.

Publish 49.4

Started by Voxpire, August 10, 2013, 01:29:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ladibug

I <3 my Soul Family

Saturn

Im a big fan of everlasting things. Any chance we can get the sprinkler (that waters all plants) back, or if not, and everlasting water jug? I would be willing to pay for this request with dances.
Bring all your gold down to Pandora Supplies! We have everything you're looking for! South West Luna.

Keeblerboy

Not much on planting but make the suggestion as a separate post. I know this would spark some interest for our plant growers. 

Keeb

Flamebeau

Quote- Ranged Weapons will now only deal damage when the ammo strikes the target, the speed of the effect is faster when the weapon has Velocity.

As the husband of an avid archer IRL, I have to disagree with this... At 30 yards, when my wife releases the arrow, it is practically instantaneously at the target with any respectable amount of weight on the bow (say, 55lbs? I can shoot with 70 and its even faster).

I see where you are going with this, but being able to actually "see" the arrow in flight in the game is already unrealistic.... the instant hits, in my opinion, are already very accurate to how an arrow would actually fly.

My 2 cents :) Everything else looks great and I look forward to it!

edit: It should be noted that it is of course highly unrealistic to be able to shoot an arrow at a target right next to you swinging a sword at your face... so I guess my point is somewhat moot :)

zaxarus

Quote from: Flamebeau on September 20, 2013, 07:39:35 PM
Quote- Ranged Weapons will now only deal damage when the ammo strikes the target, the speed of the effect is faster when the weapon has Velocity.

As the husband of an avid archer IRL, I have to disagree with this... At 30 yards, when my wife releases the arrow, it is practically instantaneously at the target with any respectable amount of weight on the bow (say, 55lbs? I can shoot with 70 and its even faster).

I see where you are going with this, but being able to actually "see" the arrow in flight in the game is already unrealistic.... the instant hits, in my opinion, are already very accurate to how an arrow would actually fly.

My 2 cents :) Everything else looks great and I look forward to it!

edit: It should be noted that it is of course highly unrealistic to be able to shoot an arrow at a target right next to you swinging a sword at your face... so I guess my point is somewhat moot :)

Yup, i agree from experience...

That's why this point rly confuses me.

Tys

"My name is my name."

Cronk

I imagine he has his reasons, but either way it's hard to knock on UO for speed rules.  People can swing swords more than once every 1.25s on the fast end, but it's there for a gameplay reason.

If there's a gameplay/balance reason for a change to archery, I imagine it has little to do with real-life physics.

Flamebeau

Quote from: Cronk on September 20, 2013, 09:52:08 PM
If there's a gameplay/balance reason for a change to archery, I imagine it has little to do with real-life physics.

I'd be curious to hear what the gameplay/balance reason is for the change, as it makes practically no difference in the long run unless you are trying to land two arrows in less than the minimum allowed swing speed duration (1.25 seconds).

Example: Armor Ignore from a distance, run to target after it looses, and immediately activating moving shot.  I can really only see maybe a tenth of a second shaved from the time between the two arrows landing.

Any other ideas?

ChickeN

wow, everything in this post is all over the road.. I try to scroll back to find the post to what ppl are replying to but geeeez... how far can a guy go back I mean really.. lol.. ;)

Voxpire

Because seeing the damage before the projectile hits the target is an immersion-breaker by my standards of game development and I'm anal about the small details - which always count.

It also allows us to accurately time special moves and other things that happen when a hit is landed.
It makes more sense that the damage is calculated only when the projectile strikes it's target.
Imagine if you used an instant-explode explosion potion and it appeared to explode and damage at the targeted point before you even threw it?

The travel speed of ranged projectiles is going to be much faster than currently, but it doesn't change how much time it takes between shots.

This is pretty much a visual/aesthetic decision, with future support for more accurate calculations to be done.

I've also upgraded Mystic Arc in order to make use of the new "physics".

For those pitching in about how archery works in real-life, in the middle ages, where bows weren't up to the standard of today's technology, projectiles would have been fired at a much slower velocity, but then again, it depends on many factors of the bow and ammo itself.

Thatperson

will the new physics affect only archery or all ranged attacks including magery? for example those times when your getting chased by a fireball or magic arrow for as long as you can keep running, then when you stop it hits but you take no damage coz it happened all the way back when it was originally fired and has been healed already.
I find it quite fun to outrun those fireballs but I know its only an animation, would be kinda cool to be able to get it to hit a tree or something and escape the damage if that's the kind of thing you have in mind :)

Horns Nigel

Or a cannon ball   hehe....Nigel
Nigel Horns Guild leader and Surgeon (SoP) Seekers of Peace, Pandora UO   
Aligned with D.A.T. That Guild and KoN

Electo Jason

Any estimate on when the patch will go through.

Got a couple battle necks to lvl up to make sure I don't miss bonus
WAR "Warcry"   "Commander"
Sheriff Of Moonglow

SoP "Seekers of Peace"

Voxpire

Depends on if you all want the boats in this patch or not. If everyone agrees that they can wait a little longer for the boats, I'll just add it to the next patch and push this one through today.

Keeblerboy

Thx Vor!   Patch today please. Boats next patch sounds great.

Keeb

zaxarus

Quote from: Vorspire on September 24, 2013, 09:14:14 AM
Depends on if you all want the boats in this patch or not. If everyone agrees that they can wait a little longer for the boats, I'll just add it to the next patch and push this one through today.

I am very very much supporting this thought...^^

Pls patch today. Ty. ;)

Tys

"My name is my name."

Pandora's New Global Chat

Updates & Events

White Walker Invasion Event by Miki McNaughty
[June 03, 2020, 03:52:32 AM]

Community

Need help please by Konan
[October 02, 2023, 12:49:41 PM]

Hi there, Im Coragin, my intro and a couple questions. by Coragin