Main Menu
Welcome Guest.
Please log in.

5 houses per account?

Started by Oniel, April 12, 2013, 11:41:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Voxpire

Quote from: Friar on April 13, 2013, 03:03:47 PMI work and have a life (i know right?!) and so expecting people to play UO every week of their lives is clearly  unrealistic and insane

It's not unrealistic, if we decide to modify mechanics that don't suit your personal schedule, it's not insane and unrealistic, that's just your opinion because it doesn't benefit you personally.

Quote from: Friar on April 13, 2013, 03:03:47 PM
and really the 37 days would seem to me to be short enough already, especially considering there is no auto-refresh at all now, and to those who don't know this 37 days is already shortened, it used to be like 3 months

It was 60 days, 90 for Luna plots.

- to note I have lots of houses at present to manage so trust me, it will be a pain to upkeep all of this already with a 37 day decay - many of these plots were simply built as temporary storage for what was on the ground at those spots and will be removed/given away by me at my discretion.

You placed the plots, earned the land and have the right to do with the plots as you see fit, but I don't see how logging in one day out of 37 is such a pain, it takes a couple seconds to refresh a house and with your long play time, I wouldn't be surprised if you had a macro to run your char through all the houses without you lifting a finger.

Other plots were placed so that I can lock down the land for future use, and will not be removed.

Unless they decay or staff deem them unsuitable or overly excessive, which is extremely rare anyway.

I only own 2 castles at present, but possess enough land to likely build a couple more castles outside of Luna in the future. This is my intention. I obviously dont want to have 7x7s jamming up the land indefinitely. The purpose in doing this is to lock the land under my control so that I can eventually build castles on the land, wherever possible (I can't believe I have to explain this, its a simple concept).

You don't have to explain this, because no one asked you to.

All of you who say we only need X number of houses - you don't have 25000 items to sort and store and recycle and sell. I do. The notion that I could fit all of my goods in a single 1818 or a single castle is a joke. We're just playing this game at different scales. I've been playing on here for several years, since almost the dawn of time on Pandora, and I'm not sure on this but can say with some confidence I am one of if not the most elder player still on here, and so my needs and wants are different from many of yours. Unlimited housing is for me almost necessary at present, and a condition I intend to make excellent use of.

You could probably fit all of your goods in 2 - 3 plots, if you have 10+ then that's excessive hoarding, no one NEEDS unlimited housing, not even you.

On the subject of cleaning up the land - I would point out that it would be infinitely easier for me to manage the land I own and remove/resize the plots, to my and everyone elses benefit and for the aesthetics of the shard itself, if there were no delay on rebuilding a new plot on land where a house is intentionally demolished. I can and will accomplish my resizing goals even if this is left as is, but it will take an extremely greater amount of time. A non-delay rebuild, as we've had for forever, I think, would be best. Really it makes sense to be able to take land that you possess and fill it correctly with a fully sized plot. As it stands, I'm somewhat stuck and forced to go very slow in this process, and so is whats his name in Zento, until that is changed back. Make it no delay, and you'll once again see a fully sized Zento, Luna, and outside of Luna in short order.

There shouldn't be a delay for rebuilding on your own land, there is a 1 hour delay that stops others from building on your land though.
Have you tried "i wish to resize my house"?

PS - zaxarus, as to your comment about me not playing here in an eternity, atleast I assume that was directed at me, and that all of my stuff should have fallen - obviously you don't have a clue what I do with my time on this game so please speak for yourself and don't assume to know anything about my gameplay or what I do or don't do. Somehow I seem to have managed to upkeep all of my old houses, since before the time of ageless housing, most of which were obviously not auto refresh at that time. And I've done this for years. How exactly could I have managed to do that if I had abandoned them and hadnt played at all? Clearly what you think is abandoned and what IS abandoned are 2 different things. Only those players who had completely left the game and not logged in in a year had their stuff knocked down. I am far from falling into that category.

Logging in once a month is about as good as not playing at all in the eyes of a lot of people and I can understand why anyone would assume you're just hoarding the land and not going to do anything with it.

At the end of the day, you've placed houses within the current housing rules and there isn't an issue as far as I'm concerned, but if we decide to reduce the 37 day period and you can't log-in more than once a month to upkeep it, then do you really deserve to hold so many plots?

Dwarvey

I personally never saw the need for unlimited housing, but hey I don't make the rules. I just abide by them.

Even now I have one piece of property per account except one. That one has two, but one of the two is a guild armory building. The 37 day refresh or fall thing makes me nervous though. Unfortunately life is liable to call me away for an extended time, and most likely I will not make that deadline, but I'll try to deal with that when the time comes.

Do I think some are going overboard with the housing. Yes, but as long as the current rule set allows it. Then this discussion is pointless.

Voxpire

We will probably just leave it the way it is, everything still needs time to settle after the recent mass IDOC.

We will provide more ways to extend the decay period on your house, we already make exceptions for those who let us know that they are going to be gone for a while and will be unable to refresh their houses.

Emerist

All of you who say we only need X number of houses - you don't have 25000 items to sort and store and recycle and sell. I do. The notion that I could fit all of my goods in a single 1818 or a single castle is a joke.

That is my point who needs 25k items when maybe 20 get used leaves room for 5576 more in a castle for looks and sales. Sound like real case of hoarding there. I think part of the point of housing decay was to clean up some of them items from pandora and the world saves and free up land for new players.

Quote from: Vorspire on April 13, 2013, 04:02:05 PM
- to note I have lots of houses at present to manage so trust me, it will be a pain to upkeep all of this already with a 37 day decay - many of these plots were simply built as temporary storage for what was on the ground at those spots and will be removed/given away by me at my discretion.

You placed the plots, earned the land and have the right to do with the plots as you see fit, but I don't see how logging in one day out of 37 is such a pain, it takes a couple seconds to refresh a house and with your long play time, I wouldn't be surprised if you had a macro to run your char through all the houses without you lifting a finger.

And I know this is very easy to do a newb could even do it via [myhouses and easyuo or razor. And can even make auto log in script to do it so they don't even need to be home or near a computer. Personally I touch 2 keys on my keyboard and am logged in on my main character no clicking to start client or typing needed.

Maybe we should change our focus as a group and ask for that command to be remove to make them give up the up keep on so many house's as it would take to long. Unless they do nothing but that.

45+ plots is way out of control (Yes I went back and counted gave up at 45 this time) when not a single one was placed within hours of the house's falling the item where long decayed before they showed up. If staff agrees this is out of control & would like to see this for them self contact me and I will page from the location.
*Throws computer off closest bridge*

zaxarus

QuotePS - zaxarus, as to your comment about me not playing here in an eternity, atleast I assume that was directed at me, and that all of my stuff should have fallen - obviously you don't have a clue what I do with my time on this game so please speak for yourself and don't assume to know anything about my gameplay or what I do or don't do. Somehow I seem to have managed to upkeep all of my old houses, since before the time of ageless housing, most of which were obviously not auto refresh at that time. And I've done this for years. How exactly could I have managed to do that if I had abandoned them and hadnt played at all? Clearly what you think is abandoned and what IS abandoned are 2 different things. Only those players who had completely left the game and not logged in in a year had their stuff knocked down. I am far from falling into that category.

lol?

I think Vorspire said enough and i totally agree with him.

Tys

"My name is my name."

Friar

Welllll..... I figured that'd get a response or two. I do tend to ramble on excessively... often without thinking much about what I'm actually typing, in any sense of accuracy of words, but the idea is conveyed, an emotional argument, not an argument meant for a courthouse. Definitely true some of the things I stated as obvious I suppose I should have stated were my opinion - what I think is clear and obvious is not the same for everyone, sometimes I forget this. There's a lot of places I could have added a modifying statement or used some phrasing of want instead of a phrasing of need but damnit I'm not an english major I just type as I think. Please assume in all of what I say that the phrase "in my opinion" is slapped onto the beginning, if that helps at all. But it's good I was hoping for it to be of some debatable use, and to try and get us all on the same page here. And I'll definitely concede I'm a hoarder, and do I need anything? How do you define need? In the context of a fantasy game, what we all need is whatever we each decide we need right? If it's crap, it's still raw material that can be smashed apart, cut apart, or melted down or whatever, and I really am making an effort to reduce the pile, I spent 5 hours tonight after a full workday doing nothing but sorting - but seriously most of that # is as of yet unsorted, and a lot is various decor, things that aren't necessarily valuable, but that I don't really want to re-make, and I find it just easier to store these things. I don't have all items that I know exactly what they are and can just toss stuff like it's nothing. I've got maybe 10K items I know what they are, most of which have some purpose or inherent value, and the rest more than half is diamonds hidden in the rough junk. Yes there is a lot of junk and I'm doing my damnedest to work through it all. I guess I'm saying, it's apparently hard for anyone to really understand having so much that you don't know exactly what you have, and I guess I didn't make a very clear post to that effect. What seems like a huge amount to some of you here, seems like business as usual to me.

I did actually learn a couple things on here just now. I had no idea you could do a script to refresh houses, and I've never been able to get an auto-logging-in script to work correctly, plus I'd be concerned that the script would foul up somehow. Furthermore, I haven't been able to figure out the new easyuo with this newest patch, why the hell it won't use the .TXT file scripts that worked just fine with the older version, or what a .LUA file is, so I'm fully 100% non script at present. I do em manually and always have probably always will I guess. I am fine with 37 days, and yes "pain" isnt the correct word to describe refreshing several dozen houses manually every 2 weeks or so (just to be on the safe side, you never know what can come up that will keep you offline - I live in florida and I've had power knocked out for 15 days from a hurricane before). Maybe "slightly inconvenient forced usage of my time to hold onto what I've worked hard to acquire, with the outside possibility of real life responsibilities or circumstances making it challenging to do so indefinitely with huge consequences in failing to do so" would be more accurate. I do have a real concern that if it's changed in the future and made too fast, and with no auto-refresh ability, then there would be a situation of total insecurity on like everything every player has worked for - if everything is always falling and everything can be lost after a short short time away from the game that would be really frustrating, in my opinion. In any case I'll do whatever I need to do within the rules provided to try to hold onto what I want to. Also I had no idea there was a way to re-size houses without knocking them down first - nobody ever bothered to tell me, and there is no button anywhere on the house sign page? (veteran newbie here apparently) I'll get to work making things square and good again since apparently I was all riled up over absolutely nothing/incorrect information. I was assuming from the statement made previously that specifically said that there was a delay of seemingly hours, that that was the new state of affairs. I had not yet independently tested this, just trusted the validity of and responded to what was stated and not corrected, my bad. aaaaanywho.... best of luck to everyone out there. I don't need a response, I'll just assume you all disagree with half of what I typed for whatever reason, and that I'm totally wrong in whatever that is, so sorry I guess though I have no idea why. Stopping typing now before I unintentionally come off as any stupider than I already probably have.

Voxpire

I feel sorry for the guy who has to manage 45 house plots!

I won't remove the [MyHouses but I will make it increment the amount it charges to travel to your house based on how many houses you own. Think of it as teleportation tax, haha.
It's already pretty cheap, starting at 5k gold IIRC? - Every subsequent house after that will increase this cost by a factor yet to be decided.

The [MyHouses menu is the expensive alternative to the relatively free recall spell and is pure convenience, so it's cost is justified.

Jags

Hi Peps. I think this is my 1st post on the forums. I saw all the 7x7's outside of luna and I don't have a problem with it because its outside of luna. I think its just like placing in the middle of nowhere. most of the action is in luna. I do think inside luna there should be 1 house per account to give other peps a shot at a luna house. Maybe next time staff has a mass drop of houses, if there is a next time they should have auctions for the house spot( gold sink) or maybe raffle them off. Like have staff place a house and put a chest on the steps, then people can place there name in a book and drop it the chest. After a week staff will pick a name and we have a new house owner. That way new player have a shot at a luna house. Just a few ideas. To the staff, can we get commodity boxes to place in our houses. Maybe make them a pcoin or voter coin rewards. BTW I do think 3-5 houses per account r plenty. Castles take a lot of lockdown and when we can start placing fortresses they can handle 9k+ lockdowns.

Voxpire

There is a Resource Box available in the donation house that can store pretty much every resource/commodity in the realm, it can also be upgraded.

I'm going to see what features can be added to the house sign, being able to put your house up for sale from the sign would be nice.

xcalibre

Many to read :)

Here my idea to solve the problem about unlimited house !  I saw someone with 50 houses outside luna ! A bit weird !

You should have a decay timer based on the number of house you have.  (60 day's is a lot !)

• For 1 house - Timer = 60 days
  • For 2 houses - Timer = 30 days
  • For 3 houses - Timer = 15 days
  • For 4 houses - Timer = 10 days
  • For 5 houses - Timer = 7 days
  • For 6 houses to 10 - Timer = 4 days
  • For 10 houses and more - Timer = 2 days

It's only an idea...

xcalibre

Anyway if you have more than 5 houses you should be an active player !

Horns Nigel

Nigel Horns Guild leader and Surgeon (SoP) Seekers of Peace, Pandora UO   
Aligned with D.A.T. That Guild and KoN

xcalibre

Quote from: Horns Nigel on April 14, 2013, 11:46:08 AM
I do and I am......Nigel

Yes me too !  So i can handle more than 5 houses !  But for people who log 1 time per month. The way is 1 or 2 houses until the player are more active in pandora.

Vorspire can add an auto-refresh every time you log in the shard...

So if you want build a castle with a ton of 7x7 you just need to log-in 1 time every 47 hours.   Anyway it's only a suggestion !

Emerist

Quote from: Vorspire on April 14, 2013, 09:58:09 AM
I feel sorry for the guy who has to manage 45 house plots!

I won't remove the [MyHouses but I will make it increment the amount it charges to travel to your house based on how many houses you own. Think of it as teleportation tax, haha.
It's already pretty cheap, starting at 5k gold IIRC? - Every subsequent house after that will increase this cost by a factor yet to be decided.

The [MyHouses menu is the expensive alternative to the relatively free recall spell and is pure convenience, so it's cost is justified.

Sound good tax them. But with [myhouses you can refresh your houses from any place with out ever having to travel to them or pay anything only reason I mentioned it.

Just my thoughts maybe add tax to that part also like minimum 5k gold or not allow it. If it cost as much or more to refresh from any where then the house does people like the one at orc fort would then have to run from houses refreshing them or pay to replace every time they needed refreshed.
*Throws computer off closest bridge*

Vandorblade

I like unlimited housing. I understand those who are against it, but I like building my villages. A couple of houses fell that gave me room to build my castle, community center, Town Hall, Armory etc. It's how I RP. Some day I may even start a guild around Vandorville, but for now, I enjoy being able to build multiple houses and enjoy them. I also don't see the point of using multiple accounts unless you are duel-boxing or something. Especially now that one character can do everything.

Pandora's New Global Chat

Updates & Events

White Walker Invasion Event by Miki McNaughty
[June 03, 2020, 03:52:32 AM]

Community

Need help please by Konan
[October 02, 2023, 12:49:41 PM]

Hi there, Im Coragin, my intro and a couple questions. by Coragin
[May 31, 2022, 01:16:13 AM]

Looking For Guild by Lovemachine100111
[May 06, 2022, 11:01:22 AM]

Saying Hello by Roxxorman