Main Menu
Welcome Guest.
Please log in.

A case for Gargoyles

Started by Astax, July 29, 2010, 02:19:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Astax

Greetings,

I come before you to bring up a sensitive issue; one which has become quite apparent to me int he two weeks I spent on this shard. The issue can be summed up in one sentence: Gargoyles are un-viable!

What does that mean? Well simply put: Making a gargoyle character is an exercise in futility. You will go mad trying to gear up your gargoyle, and in the end it will not measure up to a Human or Elf character. The situation is so dire that even S*** S****, my Gargoyle idol,  has given up on his Gargoyle. Reducing it to a poultry PvM role. (I took the precaution to somewhat distort his identity, in case he does not agree with my findings).

As a proud owner of a Gargoyle character, and as a citizen of Pandora I see this as a great injustice, on which should be corrected. And as such I come to present some possible solutions. But before we get to it we need to examine the root cause of this phenomenon, which is lack of proper equipment for the Gargoyle. And this lack of equipment stems from two problems that Gargoyles on Pandora suffer.

First, is quite possible the worst. It is the age old problem of chicken and the egg. In order for tailors and smiths to use their precious high end runics on Gargoyle gear, gear which cannot be sold to the majority of the shard population, there must be an ample market for this gear.  However, such market will never materialize because people will not make a gargoyle, because such creations lack high end prospects!  Hence chicken and the egg dilemma.

Now I am a new player when it comes to SA. I have not even played it on OSI. But I have read that on OSI shards, crafters are able to convert armor from non gargoyle, to gargoyle. Now this would solve a lot of problems. And possibly solve chicken and the egg problem we have.  Though I feel it might make things a tad too easy, further study into this option is recommended.

Second issue I have come to identify stems from a simple mathematics problem. While Gargoyles and Humans and Elves have roughly same amount of item slots (Discounting gargoyle glasses and Elven quivers), Gargoyles have fewer slots which can be Resist Armor pieces! With a single piece of armor totaling 60 resist at the high end, one can see how this is a huge disadvantage!

Once again using resources at my disposal I have learned that Gargoyle armor on OSI servers has a base resistance value total of an extra 15 POINTS! (Hope my info is current)  Now once you realize this, you quickly see how gearing up as a gargoyle can be an advantage instead of a hindrance. Without this gargoyles simply don't measure up!  I would love for this to be implemented to close the resistance gap. Or for another solution, which I also came up with, to be implemented instead.

I propose a gargoyle racial passive which adds 10 resist to each resistance, for 50 total. This would be due to their naturally tough stone skin. And as you can see is easily lore-ified. This would be 50 more resist, and can help to close the resistance gap between the races, without making armor with outrageous resist totals.  Furthermore such solution would make the armor converted from Humans and Elves, via fix to the first problem, have the same resistance as native Gargoyle armor.

I would love to see more gargoyles in PvP out there. Heck, I would love to see entire Gargoyle guilds :) Let me know what u all think about the matter.

tweekzz

i have a garg.. and i noticed everything you did. gargs are pretty well outclassed. and any human weapon that doesnt turn into a garg weap, is invisible.

TrashyNewb

ya i made the mistake of making one as my first character. the slight advantage they have doesnt out weigh the disadvantages.

with an all skill shard the only real race worth picking is an elf because they are the have racial bonuses that are useful and have the biggest selection of items to use.

pskarren

it is possible for all 70 reisit suit I  have 2 on my gargy..

i dont think giant steps is in game and I have no idea why Basilisk Hide Breastplate is made for humans  and elves and not gargoyles.

I ask  why are tram drops nerfed where the only place we can hunt is tram places for garg items.. tel mur.

(

King Kong

We are not done with Gargoyles. And in my personal opinion, if I had a player it would be a Gargoyle. There is a trick to making a Gargoyles suite, and if done right it can be much better than any human / elf

But like I said we are not done with Gargoyles.

Long Live the King... So please vote everyday. Cause I want to live.

TrashyNewb

im not gonna give up on my gargoyle, its just not the best starting race thats for sure.

Domos

Maybe one way to go is garg specific runics, something that would be easier to get then human runics but could only craft garg armor. This way people would be making/selling more of it which is what gargoyles really need.
I have played one since I joined this shard and so far Ive been skating by on resistances gained from magic resist and skill. But I do have to admit it is hard being a gargoyle simply because of the lack of armor.
On a side note, one of the big garg advantages used to be: if you went into stealth mode you could fly full speed till the next stealth check, if you slowed down before that you could pass the check but if you kept flying fast it would reveal you. Now the second you begin to fly fast you come out of stealth... Makes it much harder to survive esp in a pvp situation.

King Kong

Right now there is a bug with stealth, but I think Gizmo has a fix - we will be putting in Publish 5 tonight

and I will talk to Gizmo about Garg Runics, I believe we are going to make it so you can get Gargoyle armor in more locations than Ter Mur

Long Live the King... So please vote everyday. Cause I want to live.

Jar Jar

Jerry hears your gargish growls and cries for help and tells you all hope is not lost!

I am currently filling bods for horned runic kits that make some very nice gargish leather armour and will be stocking my runic armour vendor with glorious gargish armour.

LET THIS BE THE END TO PREJUDICE RUNIC ARMOUR CRAFTING!

Go to luna gate, travel directly NE for around 30 steps until you run into the vendor "runic armour SALE" on the front steps of the 1st house to the right. I will do my best to keep it stocked from time to time. :)

Pandora's New Global Chat

Updates & Events

White Walker Invasion Event by Miki McNaughty
[June 03, 2020, 03:52:32 AM]

Community

Need help please by Konan
[October 02, 2023, 12:49:41 PM]

Hi there, Im Coragin, my intro and a couple questions. by Coragin
[May 31, 2022, 01:16:13 AM]

Looking For Guild by Lovemachine100111
[May 06, 2022, 11:01:22 AM]

Saying Hello by Roxxorman