Main Menu
Welcome Guest.
Please log in.

Adventures of a misfit thief

Started by Gasper Le Marc, July 06, 2011, 07:46:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gasper Le Marc

Hail friends

Today i speak of 2 tales, both tales left me with a jaw dropping experience, as i believe both occurances where the work of a master, Me <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) -->

I feel the gifts keep on coming as i seem to find a worthy adversary on every outing, and more importantly a worthy trophy at the end of the day.

In this case i like to show you exhibit A

Ahh a fellow friendly face, i remember you

Enter Lush

Now as you remember from previous outings i have tangled with this person, he let me take a very nice Mana regen 5 Tali of him, this occasion he does not dissapoint.

Whats this.............................................

For me???????

I believe you have purposely left this to test me , am i correct?

Nobody in there right mind would leave such an item untended too, or uninsured.

Well in this case that person is you.

I watch for a bit, carefully watching his movements back and forth whilst his friend over there tries taming a Raging Grizzly Bear.

Gives me an idea, well seeing as though one mind is occupied lets wait till the other is too.

He pauses for a moment, i only believe for a few seconds before he begins pouncing around again.

I strike

Poof gone, now too run like a bat outa hell, he has the advantage as his mount is clearly faster than my wolf paws, i head for the tree line to lose his sight and avoid certain death once realization sets in off his loss.

I am safe once again, with a very very nice prize in my grasp.

SUCCESS again.

Time to head home

Gasper 1 other guy 0
Legendary Thief of Pandora

Gasper Le Marc

Hail friends

This next story is a very short yet self enriching experience ,

Now too carry on from my previous adventure in the lands of Ilshnar Spirituality i play home to the Tokuno mines again.

My soon too be favorite hunting ground, a place so rich with wealth and prizes its hard not too find it empty.

on this occasion i will continue with Exhibit B

Enter Sokar

My paws freeze on spot at what my eyes are witnessing, am i being deceived again, am what i seeing in front of me real

no no it cant be.

That bow sir clearly you do not value your possessions as much as i do.

I think for a few seconds of its worth, the gold pouring into my pockets, my house being filled with so much gold i could dive into it.

The greed takes over, i have to take this before he decides he must use it.

I take it, i contemplate quickly insuring it encase he snaps out of it and tries to kill me to get it back, no chance my friend, i head for the exit.

I stop and gaze at its incredible craftsmanship, i head home and immediately put it on sale.

Its owner didnt even suspect me or try even barter it back, i never heard a squeak from him, so i presume he believes it vanished like thin air.

Success too me then

Undetected and Unsuspected once again

High fives all round.

Gasper 1 other guy 0

Gasper Le Marc

Hail friends

Tis been a while i must admit, business is at a decline, and players are getting smarter.

I was approached the other day by a man whos name is withheld due to some reason i cant explain.

He asked me.

"Hey you"

i said "who me?"

he said "yes"

i said "how can i help you sir"

he said "are you a thief"

i said "depends on what nice items you have for me today"

he said "im also a theif"

i said "welcome to Pandora"

he said "can join i u guild"

i said "WTF", at that point i couldn't find the grammar police so left it be for now

I then routinely took him through the ropes teaching him my ways and then he i notice his low level of stealing message come up saying "you notice ........ peeking into your possessions" message that only super awesome people can see.

I hesitate, and then take his life.

he says "WTF MAN"

i say "read the code, it will teach you the ways"

i then left him be with his body intact realizing he broke the code already before he even started, i took his life as show of order for the code.

For those interested in this code i follow here it is.

1. Thou shalt not steal from or loot fellow thieves.
2. Thou shalt not purposely reveal fellow thieves.
3. Thou shalt not identify disguised thieves.
4. Thou shalt not kill fellow thieves.
5. Thou shalt not follow fellow thieves around telling people that they are thieves.
6. Thou shalt offer aid and comfort to fellow thieves when possible.
7. Thou shalt not ask stupid questions
8. Thou shalt check the forum to see if thine question has already been answered.
9. Thou shalt retain a sense of humor.
10. Thou shalt not call thyself a thief if thou hast not stolen from thine fellow player.
11. Thou shalt remember that thine profession is spelled thief and not theif.

And if you wondering well Gasper you broke your own rule number 4, actually those who break the rules have no right to call themselves thieves and punishable by death (well thats my take on it anyway)

Good day, more adventures too come.

<!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) -->

Gasper Le Marc

Hail friends

A small guide i have compiled for the nessasary skills of a thief and some insight into training them.

What should my template be for my thief?

As far as I'm concerned, these are the minimum skills (after item bonuses) that every thief must have:

Stealing GM+
Snooping GM
Hiding GM
Stealth 75 or 80 (Shadow Strike)
Ninjitsu GM+

Yes, it's possible to get away with less, but I wouldn't recommend it.

What happens when you attempt to steal and item, how is stealing calculated?

3 things can happen when you attempt to steal an item:

You fail to steal the item and you turn grey. Everyone within a 7 tile radius recieves a message informing them: (a) who's stealing, (b) who they're stealing from, and (c) what item they're attempting to steal.

You successfully steal the item and you turn grey. Everyone within a 7 tile radius recieves a message informing them: (a) who's stealing, (b) who they're stealing from, and (c) what item they're attempting to steal.

You successfully steal the item and you remain blue. No one notices the theft.
Keep in mind:

The difficulty to steal an item unnoticed and remain blue decreases as your skill in Stealing increases.

The difficulty to steal an item unnoticed and remain blue increases as the weight of the item increases.

The calculation that determines your success or failure is rolled for every person within a 7 tile radius (including your victim).

This means that for every steal -- depending on your skill in Stealing and the weight of the item -- you have a certain percentage chance of being noticed.

That same percentage chance is re-rolled for every additional person in the area.

Stealing and how its measured

0-30 buy from npc
30-35 3 stones
35-45 4 stones
45-55 5 stones
55-65 6 stones
65-75 7 stones
75-85 8 stones
85-95 9 stones
95-GM 10 stones

and from 100 -120 you can use dye tubs to max it

Training Stealing

Well from my understanding pack mule stealing still works on the current patch.

Therefore one of the simplest methods for getting gains is to purchase a pack mule/llama and then place a heavy item on it depending on your skill level as mentioned above, i usually use dye tubs and place around 10 or so on the mule, and macro stealing the pack mule.

Make sure you tell the mule to guard you and for good gains try it out in fel, also make sure to replace the item once you have stolen it so you can continue getting gains.

Training Stealth

0-30 Buy from Thief Guildmaster
30-65 Stealth with only newbie clothes and a robe on
65-95 GM Full Studded Leather Suit
95-GM GM Full Studded Leather Suit and GM Close Helm

Remember, to have a chance at stealth you must have at least 80.0 hiding and be hidden when the skill is triggered. Without 80 (or more) hiding, you will get a message informing you that your hiding is not high enough, and you will not gain any skill.

Training Snooping

Probably the simplest of skills to gain, just make another character, set him at say fel in one of the towns there, and just simply macro snooping him untill you hit 100.

Simple and easy.

Training Hiding

This is another very easy skill to train, simple stand somewhere where nobody will constantly reveal you and macro your hiding button till you reach 100, easy as that.

Training detect hidden

This is a great tool to have as a thief as you always encountering players who you tracking who suddenly vanish of the grid yet you can still pick them up on tracking, you can either:

A. wait for them to reveal themselves and continue your mission
B. reveal them and go for the item or what you after, and give away that you are there if they dont notice off course.

But remaining hidden is the best option and waiting for them, but always handy to detect them sometimes if you are impatient like me :P

Simply macro detect hidden and stand somewhere where nobody is around and try target either animals or monsters they least likely to be around, and just set that to go till 100.

That is all for now.

Till next time

Good day

Diomedes

Another way to train detect hidden, is simply just target yourself over and over. Works all the way to GM. Doesn't matter if other players or monters are near. Or even where you are.

Also - To train Tracking (Another useful Thief skill)

Simply set a macro up (somewhere where there will be NO players) that records you Useing the skill tracking and selecting "Players"
Since there wont be any players in the area, it'll give you a message saying "You see no players in this area" or something to that effect, But you will still get gains this way all the way to GM

Hope this also helps

-Diomedes
"Let us be thankful for the fools. But for them, the rest of us could not succeed."
"When I look around me, I am often troubled to see how many people are mad."
- The Famous: Mark Twain

Gasper Le Marc

Indeed thank you Dio, yes some methods have varied over the years yet some still stay steadfast throughout UO, i am glad the basics have not been changed that drastically.

Still stealth and wearing the correct outfit still is a troublesome task to train aswell as ninjitsu :(

Will update some more info in the next couple of days aswell as some new adventures and tales along the way.

Good day

Gasper Le Marc

Hail friends

Utmost apologies for the lack of adventures , it seems this new High Sees patch has brought many gifts to my door and time has been quite confined as of lately.

Yet i come baring new tales on this day, tales of righteous rewards and deception.

So lets begin.

It was a dark and stormy night, errr no it wasnt wait lets redo it

It was a bright and sunny day in the lands of Luna, it seems the current recession hasnt taken its toll that hard too those shop keepers in the north of the lands, it seems day by day it brings more and more travellers from a far to seek treasures on these once forgotten lands.

It was like any other day where i would skip down the stairs of my humble abode and find a wealthy traveller scourging around looking for a specific item at the local vendors in Luna.

I find it happens that they usually carry quite nice presents to grace me with each day, some more than others yet a prize none the less.

Enter Glorious Lord Theyeti

Now as you may of guessed it, Lord Theyeti carries a very nice item that would go along nicely on my vendor for a good price, i see that he is engulfed in his current affairs and has not time to look around to make sure danger is clear.

Well now, it may be clear to the naked eye, yet for you my newly found unfortunate friend you cannot see what is invisible, nor can you prepare yourself for what may come for you.

Yet i will take your item as a testament to my greatness, a plague sweeps these lands whilst the rich get richer the poor just stay poor, and i for one do not wish to be the latter, so let me relieve you of your riches to enable my self inrichment for years too come.

Success

Now to bank my newly acquired item then pawn it off to someone of wealth <!-- s:P -->:P<!-- s:P -->

Gasper 1 other guy 0

Gasper Le Marc

Hail friends

I grow bored of the simplicity of stealing now days and seek a challenge, something that might be death defying yet self fulfilling in every way possible.

.........hmmmmm

.................Ponders some more

.....(light goes on)

Hooray, an idea

A book, simple enough you would think yet the content can be misleading yet intriguing to a traveler that he becomes sublimed with interest he forgets what he was doing, thus enabling me to pillage and plunder.

Hmm seems like a good idea, now to set up the trap.

Final page

Too me that looks pretty believable, yet the ending will be sweet for me, and bad for them, now to leave it on the floor and hope a traveler comes by to read it.

Hooray

Enter the Respectable Mercu

he reads the book yet its too late for him, i find what i am after , and what a prize indeed.

I hesitate not for the other items, i reveal and take what is mine

I hit wolf form and head for safety before he finds out the true plot to the book and is overcome with anger for letting his guard down enough for me to take his prized possession.

Success for me

High fives all round.

Gasper 1 other guy 0

Gasper Le Marc

Hail friends

Today i meet someone of great power, someone who will drop you just by blinking at you.

I must say i was very frightened when i came across this character i felt utter chills down my spine and the weapon and power he wields, a God you say, i cannot see any otherwise.

Enter Xeen  (cannot think of a amazing title atm)

I am amazed at the sight of this man, a God from above walking alongside men, walking in the town that is flooded with poverty and death yet he speaks to the mere mortals.

I move in to get a closer look at this God

Immediately i was astonished, from the depths of Hades what is this....................

Are my eyes deceiving me, are the Gods playing a trick on me again, no no, this is real what i see before me, a weapon so grave it could end a universe with one strike of its mighty thrust.

Blessed off course, yet this will be one item i cannot remove from its owner, going against a God indeed is seen as high treason and punishable by death they say.

Yet what i have done, i fear no death, no jail cell can hold me for long, i will break out, i will survive, and i will make your acquaintance one day God Xeen, in my very special way.

Good day for now mighty God.

Gasper Le Marc

Hail friends

After my run in with the Mighty God Xeen i have feared to wonder from my home incase i would be swooped up and spat out on a God forsaken island only left with a dagger to fend for myself or take my own life.

Yet treasure will not find its way into my bank without effort and commitment.

For ADVENTURE!!!!!!!!!

But first a quick message to the world and its inhabitants

Pumps Fists, Time to embrace the day

I roll a dice for where to go, it seems to always point too Luna, my home away from Home, what treasures will this great city bring for me today, off course its Uninsure your stuff day <!-- s:P -->:P<!-- s:P -->

Ahhh Ha

A Traveller

Enter Zyrmogen

And an Uninsured item just for me, it seems people do read the ramblings of a old crook, haha

I will take your item as a truce between the rich and poor.

no no wait that's a stupid idea, instead i will just take your prized item.

For Victory

I run off with my newly acquired item and head for the bank to put it away in the ever growing vault of richness.

Success

Gasper 1 other guy 0

But wait

News reaches me of a mighty beast and its master devastating all in the mines of Tokuno.

Ahh information i will not pass up and dissapoint.

Too the mines it is

I find the horror that lays ahead of me, i follow the corpses left on the ground, cast aside like a piece of paper in the wind, left lifeless, empty and without meaning anymore.

I carry on down till i find the cause of this treachery

Enter Lady Starnix

I joust around her back and forth watching her moves, and more importantly avoiding detection by her beast.

I quickly snoop her pack whilst she stops to bask in her glory

I spot something i like

I take what i like

Stupid as it seems i could not resist a prize from a mighty foe such as this encounter, and thus a prize will always remind me of how outsmarting is easier when hiding (Alot less deaths aswell) <!-- s:P -->:P<!-- s:P -->

Hooray

Air Punches all the way back to bank

Gasper 1 other guy 0

Maggdalena

"Uninsure your stuff day"

:lol:
Don't ask too many questions about what goes on at Alifanfaron's house on Weird Wednesdays. You might not be prepared for the answers.

Gasper Le Marc

Have to make it interesting somehow, otherwise there is no adventure or nothing to tell tales about :P

Maggdalena

How about "Hunt down Gasper Le Marc" day?
Don't ask too many questions about what goes on at Alifanfaron's house on Weird Wednesdays. You might not be prepared for the answers.

Gasper Le Marc

I was actually thinking more on the lines of "the 1milllion gold challenge"  

Whereby a series of tasks will be set down along with requirements to progress forward to the next step and eventually finding a certain person hiding in a certain dungeon, and if you bring me the head of that person after all the other tasks have been complete, i will give you 1million gold :)

Its fun exciting, everybody can participate, and best of all its a free for all, full on no holds bards to see who gets to the prize first.

But that's just a pipeline idea i have.

I got loads more :)

Diomedes

If you need any help with it, let me know Gasper, i can help set up some of the tasks, and give you some of the prize money, ect. :D

-Diomedes
"Let us be thankful for the fools. But for them, the rest of us could not succeed."
"When I look around me, I am often troubled to see how many people are mad."
- The Famous: Mark Twain

Pandora's New Global Chat

Updates & Events

White Walker Invasion Event by Miki McNaughty
[June 03, 2020, 03:52:32 AM]

Community

Need help please by Konan
[October 02, 2023, 12:49:41 PM]

Hi there, Im Coragin, my intro and a couple questions. by Coragin
[May 31, 2022, 01:16:13 AM]

Looking For Guild by Lovemachine100111