Main Menu
Welcome Guest.
Please log in.

(Inworld) Global Language

Started by Belegerandh, July 06, 2010, 10:11:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Belegerandh

Ok, I know this is a bit of a hairy subject so I'll bring it up before someone else feels compelled to do it; just want to save some feelings out there, especially when we have some military and former military (myself included) out there who may be more vehement about the subject.

I'd like to inquire about the language guidelines we're to use in the public channels. We have a lot of overseas folks coming in, which is great, and most of my online friends are Scandi or Baltic too. I just kind of gravitate to those guys for whatever reason and also why I'm surprised this even came up given the political and public views of those areas: their 'be one of us or see yourself out' kind of approach.

Ya, I'm saying a lot of nothing but it's leading to something  ;)  Today the language was addressed by the server populace, even politely. I was really kind of impressed that it wasn't like many servers where you'd just get blasted for something like that. But what they got in return was the Baltic (I suppose) speaking individuals calling them evil and mean. They weren't being ugly, they were saying just use English in the public channels and to use their own in a party channel.

This all said, what are the guidelines in Pandora? I'm positive the guys 9and ladies) here had it right but I'd like to know. The guilt trips they were being handed (by the two individuals) for upholding the English language, really, kinda p*ssed me off. Not my own shard but just sayin' ..

Kanu Unchou

evil and mean? lol.
it's bad manners to talk in a language only a few people understand in a public channel. in another game i tended to be in alot of spanish speaking groups, and since i don't speak spanish, i felt like an alien. not funny at all. since english is the language most people speak, why not use that? and if you don't speak english, well, SOL. find a friend to translate for you.
i'm saying this as a german player. i'd never consider talking german in [c.

Deadmau5

Secluding people from a server simply based on their language is simply retarded.  I have no problem people talking in general chat in their own language as long as they are not using it when they are standing right next to each other to communicate.  And I have not seen that happen yet.  So they want to play on probably the best no-skill cap server that's open but you don't want them too because they can't speak your language?  More than likely they do not have a server like this that is native to their language.  Learn to tolerate differences in the world like language barriers.

Dleatherus

i have no problem with folks using their own language in open [c channel .. i find that if it's getting a bit much i'll temporarily 'ignore' those talking in a different lingo is all

knowing english isn't a prerequisite for playing uo

as a sidenote, Kon has created an International channel on the shard vent server especially for those in our player base who prefer to chat in their native tongues:

Download Vent http://www.ventrilo.com/download.php

dallas.vent4rent.com
port: 3124

King Kong

As I said before -- if there is a lot of spanish speaking players then I will make a channel just for them.

But english is primary, so in global chat I want english. I am not secluding people from anything.

You have in game chat, PM's etc etc.

If you want a channel for just your language PM me. No problem.

Long Live the King... So please vote everyday. Cause I want to live.

Belegerandh

Ya, I know. I'm kind of a d*ck and it's why I asked.  :roll:

Personally, I don't care and it wasn't bothering me any; loot didn't change. But when others ask and they're trashed for it in global then ya, I care. Makes me want to say 'stfu'.

Pandora's New Global Chat

Updates & Events

White Walker Invasion Event by Miki McNaughty
[June 03, 2020, 03:52:32 AM]

Community

Need help please by Konan
[October 02, 2023, 12:49:41 PM]

Hi there, Im Coragin, my intro and a couple questions. by Coragin
[May 31, 2022, 01:16:13 AM]

Looking For Guild by Lovemachine100111
[May 06, 2022, 11:01:22 AM]

Saying Hello by Roxxorman