Main Menu
Welcome Guest.
Please log in.

New Player Basics Bags

Started by Silas DroSakhar, August 18, 2013, 12:13:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silas DroSakhar

With the influx of new players recently (woohoo!!!!), I've noticed a lot of folks (myself included) dashing around trying to come up with some decent starting gear while answering as many of their questions as possible.

Now, I realize we have a great resource in Insula for new players to dig through, and I wouldn't want it's value to be diminished, but would there be any interest from current players to contribute to New Player Starter Bags?  Crusean and I were tossing ideas around this morning, and we both agreed we wouldn't want to diminish a new player's experience by giving them powerful stuff, but at least something to keep them alive through their first couple forays into the wilds.

So this is what we are thinking of including, and please add items if you think of them.

A 60s to 70s resist suit, if the LRC suit included in a new player's bag doesn't have these resists.
A Cities Runebook
A Low-level Monsters Runebook
A single weapon, imbued one time with a hit property

I know Pandora already gives them a superb starting kit, but in getting a new player ready to hit the field, most of us try to do at least some of these things for them.

Taking the idea a step further, I'm also wondering if one of our incredibly talented GMs would be able to perhaps place a chest in Luna or Insula that a new player could drop a claim ticket into to receive their bag, OR have the chest accessible to certain players, so the bags can be handed out as needed.

I wouldn't particularly want the items to be spawned into the chest, or into a player's pack, as I would rather we all take some responsibility for helping to strengthen our community, and the act of contributing to the fund (whatever items on the list somebody can contribute) might go a long way toward retention of new players.

What I'm wondering, is, is there enough need for something like this to make it worthwhile, and is there enough interest in contributing to the cause to make it feasible?

Please let me know what you think, and what other items may or may not be good to include.  :D

Build a man a fire, and you warm him for a day.  Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Horns Nigel

Great idea, I would be happy to help....Nigel
Nigel Horns Guild leader and Surgeon (SoP) Seekers of Peace, Pandora UO   
Aligned with D.A.T. That Guild and KoN

Angel0178

You have the backing of the NPA Staff

Zeutch

We have a young player chest, but as you're young and starting out...insurance can be a pain...and multiple deaths are to be expected...not unlikely to lose them and the supply could run out...

I was thinking of the virtue suit...the pieces come by easy enough, in fact most people trash them...the cloak is the final piece and it costs a whopping 500k...not a big amount per se...but the whole suit is blessed, gives 70 resist and has self repair on it...perfect for the new player... should have no problem with a supply of them...of course..the problem is the cloak...

In relation to the weapon...nothing fancy...perhaps a crafted one (GM crafts have DI already on it if i recall correctly, exceptional) ...and perhaps 1 property of their choice...be it something like fireball or lightning...

Something to help the players on their journey in the world...but not give them everything...

Ideas of course are welcome !

Collective effort by the community...that's how I see it...

ChickeN

Great Idea Silas .. and I'm Fully On Board.. I Have Resources and Will Help Out In any Way I Can, Don't Hesitate to Ask..

Angel0178

I forgot about the virtue suits. Lemme see what I have. I don't think I have the cloak though lol

Thatperson

the cloak is only available by buying from a stone in trinsic.. it costs 500k
I always thought it was a shame that new newbie lrc suit didn't have the 60 resist like the glass city stuff did

Zeutch

can't have 90 LRC and resists at the same time ;p...

Need to work for it ;)

d35tr0y

Drop me a pm in game anytime [pm clean your soul I am 120 all crafts with the tools and supplies needed I used to do this when we had an abundance of new players so let me no and ill get crakin on some 70's/Lrc bags quivers weapons all the good's I think for now we can just get a small group together and go with the ''trust'' of one another maybe when more people are coming through the new chest idea might be a good help I dunno
Founder of Lost Souls (soul)

Silas DroSakhar

I started assembling Virtue suits, but it just isn't going to be cost-effective for me to do, with the price of the cloak being 500k each.  I've got seven suits that need cloaks, so that would run 3.5 million gold, and I'm thinking that kind of moolah would be better spent elsewhere.  I'm wondering if we shouldn't just go with 70s leathers with or without LRC to begin with.

Again, I'm not looking to give the new players gear that is going to last them months.  Just long enough to get them through a few hunts so they can afford to begin upgrading, piece-by-piece, like most of us have.
Build a man a fire, and you warm him for a day.  Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Dwarvey

Then your best bet is to craft them runic suits with a good set of resists, and enough LRC to function with as few reagents as possible. If I'm online as I hope to be more often I will lend my Legand Smith/Tailor to the cause.

Clean can always find me if he needs to.

Minock of SOUL

Saturn

I'm working on making some location based runebooks (fel dungeons, tram dungeons, ect.) I'll let you know how that goes. I'll try and make some New Player Rune Books, with locations of interest to people starting off.
Bring all your gold down to Pandora Supplies! We have everything you're looking for! South West Luna.

Pandora's New Global Chat

Updates & Events

White Walker Invasion Event by Miki McNaughty
[June 03, 2020, 03:52:32 AM]

Community

Need help please by Konan
[October 02, 2023, 12:49:41 PM]

Hi there, Im Coragin, my intro and a couple questions. by Coragin
[May 31, 2022, 01:16:13 AM]

Looking For Guild by Lovemachine100111
[May 06, 2022, 11:01:22 AM]

Saying Hello by Roxxorman