Main Menu
Welcome Guest.
Please log in.

Around the World - Sailing Race Event

Started by GM NollKoll, November 22, 2013, 01:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GM NollKoll

Due to the Timelords has been and messin' about on the forums, im going to rewrite the post, and hopefully i will cover everything again.

Due to forums maintenance and me meeting some mates tomorrow (Sat. 23rd Nov) i will postpone it one week, tils next Saturday. Hopefully no Timelords will disrupt it that time, either it be on the telly or behind the webpage.

About the event
a certain amount of teams, will race around the map of Trammel, on the way, they need to get to certain checkpoints (cover more on that soon, but those who joined my GEOraces, its like that basicly)

I would like as much players as possible to form teams in advance, post it here if you got a full team, no need to mention who does what, but during the event, the jobs will be fixed, so no switching. Since i can hue the ships, i would also like to know the teams favorite color(or hue mix, i can have a different hue on the gangways for example, team colors may not be the same as other teams, so first come, first served!)

The teams should be of minimum 3 players,
-one that steers the ship (preferbly mouse-steering, to celebrate Vors intensiving keyboard smashing skills)
-one that reads a map of the checkpoints, and checks with a map system like the one with SteamUO (a auto updating map of your whereabouts, good time to promote SteamUO aswell)
-the rest of the crew will kill whatever oceanic monsters and critters that the ship might encounter, and general support

The teams should also decide on a theme based sailor outfits, the team with the best outfit might get a special price just for that, not decided yet, but probably will

Ofc. players arent allowed to recall and replace ship (you still need to get to each checkpoint, and the ship will loose hue when you drydock it)

There will be some different routes a player can take, the route will still be around the map of trammel (mainland), but how each island will be taken, is upto the player (map reader role ofc, but could use that mumble server or whatever it was called, to talk to each crewmember efficiently, promote that aswell =P)

There wont be any pvp allowed, might make reds yellowbared if they got a mapreading/captain role in the event, or rather, make everyone with the captain/mapreading role as yellowbared.

Players who does not participate are not allowed to mess with the course (help guildmates or such, via various means)

And i would prefer if as much shipowners could drydock their ships during the event.

Would also like the griefing amount will kept to a minimum aswell (2 ships from same guild, one blocks other ships so the other guildies can get far ahead, sure its one tactic, but i wont allow it as much as i can spot it)

Oh yea, small boats is what i think would be the best, and no again to those who would, no ship battles.. i will make a event in the future, with a ship fight kinda thing, when cannon is going to be implemented

**About the checkpoints, and the 2 "options" i would like to get feedback on**
"checkpoints" work in a way that, one of the players got a piece of paper in the backpack, when the correct checkpoint has been reached, the paper will change (get "stamped"), and depending on the 2 options, what will change will also be updated.

option1: Checkpoint areas will be large, 20x20-40x40 tiles wide, no precise mapreading skills req, just be in the general area, and the paper will get "stamped" and it will change name from "Checkpoint 1: reached" to "Checkpoint 2: reached", something like that.
Pro's: Less cluster effect at checkpoint, less frustration, no superb mapreading skill is needed
Con's: No mapreading skill is needed =P, can result in players in the lead, easily maintain the lead

option2: Checkpoint areas will be small, 1 tile or max 9 (ie 1 tile in the middle, then one step in each direction from the middle tile)
The paper will change name from "Checkpoint 1: reached. Checkpoint 2 location: XXXXXXX" where the XXXXXX's is the sextant location.
Pro's: More professional sailing, can make players that have fallen behind, catch up the winning team if they are having difficulties finding the area.
Con's: Can slightly cluster the area with ships (will have the locations slightly off, still kinda close to each other, but fully possible to get the paper stamped at the same time as another team), Will take longer time, and need better communication between captain/mapreader

**Summary/Hows its done(basic)**
a few ships will start from the exact same location (ofc not ontop of each other), each ship containing atleast 3 players.
They will travel around the map, via several checkpoints (where a piece of paper, that will get updated at each waypoint
First one that reaches the starting location again (ofc, with a paper that claims that they have traveled around the world) wins!

I think ive got all the info on there, please comment with questions, and your feedback (and team setup)
Also, team setup issnt necessary, but will make things quicker when event starts, and you can make sure you get stuck with a friend that understands your awesome gps skills =P
(and i meant that noone does it solo, but those who havnt made a team when the event is about to start, will get automaticly placed in a team, leftovers will be randomly lotted to a ship that havnt got that much players in)

Also, since i moved the event until next week (ofc if i can then, and the forum will be working, but hopefully will) I might login later when friends left, and do a mini-event, add some random bosses in an area.. i will see how intoxicated i will be, and how sleepy i will be. So those that wished for an event tomorrow might still get it =P just a different kind
Its hard to please everyone..
But..
I think i can say im among the best people teaser that exists at the moment.

Horns Nigel

Nigel Horns Guild leader and Surgeon (SoP) Seekers of Peace, Pandora UO   
Aligned with D.A.T. That Guild and KoN

Mozot

How about just two pillars to go thru for cp? Make it small but wide enough for 2 boats, or even three pillars so none can shoot the gap (making it so only o e can get thru) if there is a race off.

And lastly I have a big complaint, I will be out of town for turkey day weekend! As I'm sure many of us natives will be :-p

GM NollKoll

right... we got that aswell.... hmmhmh...  would be happy if everyone write if they are able or not.. otherwise ill postpone it a bit more T_T...  Would like as many as possible to join.. Will make a turkey slaugher event instead maybe =P

Also could do pillars, but the paper will still need to be "stamped" so at the finish line, i know they have gone around the world and not cheated =P
But yea, rest of the folks, please comment on pillars or not
But..

Dwarvey

Pillars are a good idea. I would make them a odd color so they stand out when you get them on the map. That way if you are a bit off on the navigation you can make last minute corrections.

Hahahahaha.....Timelords got ya.

GM NollKoll

Quote from: Dwarvey on November 23, 2013, 11:38:12 AM
Pillars are a good idea. I would make them a odd color so they stand out when you get them on the map. That way if you are a bit off on the navigation you can make last minute corrections.

Hahahahaha.....Timelords got ya.

Yea since pillars neatly arranged as a gateway in the middle of the ocean is sucha high probability to encounter allready, i need em xmas decorated, blinking, beeping, shiny etc to make sure players know its those pillars? =P

And yea, i thought i would give Dr.Who a chanse since ive seen a few jokes and reference roam around the internet before.. so mid of S2 of the newest of the series atm..  its not great but its ok i guess.. so why not add some references for the one that posted first on the first thread
But..

Mr. Giggles

Ok here's what I think it needs pillers that are somewhat close to each other so that you have to pass between them to get the check point or have one that you have to make one complete circle around it. Also I think it should be something like lazer race's one person per small boat. that way everyone can do it some might have trouble setting up team.

GM NollKoll

will postpone it one more week.. Happy thanksgiving.. ill work with the turkey smashing instead :3
But..

GM NollKoll

so.. hows Saturday the 14th?.. except from xmas gift shopping, would there be room?
But..

King Kong

Long Live the King... So please vote everyday. Cause I want to live.

GM NollKoll

Seems noone is responding with teams etc, and i will have some mates over, i will postpone it tils everyone can join without the daily irl stress at this date.

I will prob. do some monster bash later on when mates have left, so look forward to that instead.. Also making a new thread about a simular thanksgiving festival i hosted, but for xmas..
But..

Pandora's New Global Chat

Updates & Events

White Walker Invasion Event by Miki McNaughty
[June 03, 2020, 03:52:32 AM]

Community

Need help please by Konan
[October 02, 2023, 12:49:41 PM]

Hi there, Im Coragin, my intro and a couple questions. by Coragin
[May 31, 2022, 01:16:13 AM]

Looking For Guild by Lovemachine100111
[May 06, 2022, 11:01:22 AM]

Saying Hello by Roxxorman