Main Menu
Welcome Guest.
Please log in.

i cant stand no skill cap

Started by Zephyr, August 14, 2010, 12:30:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zephyr

i miss the days of fighting unique characters and not the same old hybrids. :( anyone else miss what made uo so awesome? i mean having disarm is pretty useless, it prolly will only benefit the disarmed more than you, since they can just disarm you back and just dump on you. Everyone is also a one man army, i miss having your pvp squad that consisted of you ninja archer dismounter, your field casting support mage, your nuke mage, your necro dp dexxer. I just miss it, a lot.

Shirey Jenkins

Well there are some things I miss as well, but considering this is free gameplay, I have adapted. You can always go back to OSI. They would love your subscription.

Karzack

Cap and no cap both have there advantages.  I can understand wanting the cap.  It puts limits on things, making characters somewhat unique.  Like you said, groups of different types would band up instead of ones that can do all.  I think the only thing that makes each character different here are the stats.  To me it seems (in my short time here) like you lean either to might or magic.  Or, a balance of both that isn't quite as good as one who leans one of the other two ways.  

For me though, I like the no skill cap.  It allows me to to more of what I want without creating a bunch of alt characters.

Kontact

i think no skill cap is better, i think it requires more skill because you have a greater range of abilities at your disposal and to keep track of that many hotkeys, i must say is pretty challenging lol. the only downside to no skill cap is, players are way strong which has implications on ingame economy i.e. making non-consumables redundant quickly. however thanks to some good planning and intervention on behalf of pandora staff, those non-consumables i.e. doom arties will always have a purpose on the imbue system ^^. powerscrolls however might need some kind of secondary purpose.

tangent end.

Astax

Yeah I remember OSI around when factions first came out. The game was so OOzing with variety that it just slapped you like Rick James, bitch, as soon as you logged in! Every dexer was a Lumberjack,everything else was a mage, and everyone in trammel was a tamer. You just can't get variety lite this on here!

Belphegor

I had some personal issues about the cap but I prefer to get to know some people a little bit, whether I feel they're cool or not so cool. lol No skill cap kinda helps keep everyone in the game on a more personal level, not having to make so many alts to where you just can't keep up.

Rival

I must say that i agree with both sides of this arguement. it was nice having a variety of builds that you may encounter, come you were strong against, some you weren't. But at the same time i enjoy not having to log into another character everytime i want to craft items, or complete a taming bod.

King Kong

I look at it like this

People will make however many accounts they want, meaning more character for every time they want a character to be good at something different, which is like 4 times the items and characters in world with tons of lag and long long save times

but yes there are pro and cons to both -

Long Live the King... So please vote everyday. Cause I want to live.

Blue betty

Uoguide states the following:

The Skill Cap is a key balancing game mechanic in Ultima Online. It controls the amount of capability of a character can have by enforcing a limit on the number of total points in Skills a character can attain.
Without the skill cap, a character could conceiveably become godlike with the max 100 points of each of the 55 skills in UO. This would ultimately make gameplay moot as everyone would eventually have the exact same capabilities, not to mention extremely time-consuming and boring to work on GM'ing all 55 skills.

Domos

The no skillcap is hardly making anyone godly, reason for this is many of the fighting skills are not compatible and or can not be used at the same time. And while players on the shard are stronger pvm then those on OSI, the duels and world pvp dont look much different or go faster.

Blue betty

Uo stratics states the following:

So you are curious about the Skill and Stat Caps? These caps were put in place to even the playing field for newer players and people who didn't have all day to spend practicing their skills and raising their attributes. A character that was 18 months old would be godlike, with GM Status in every skill and 100s for Strength, Dexterity and Intelligence, without the Caps because this character would have months and months to train.
The Stat and Skill Caps were not put into place to inconvenience you or make your life miserable. They were put in place as a way to force boundaries upon characters that would normally run rampant over the countryside slaying everything in their wake if they were given no limits. With the addition of the Scrolls of Power, players now have a way to specialize their characters even more, and even train their stats a little bit higher than others to make things more "interesting".

Domos

The skill gain is accelerated AND we get training elementals, anyone can start a new character and have all fighting skills gmd in a day. Get a little lrc and you can gm magery and necro overnight. The rest of it comes down to gear and skill, and just like OSI good gear takes time to get. You have to also remember that most things have a cap on them, for pvp at least, you get a cap on fc/fcr, DI, SDI, LMC, resists, etc. No matter what you have on you will not be above that cap. Some things do not have a cap for pvm but once again you would be hard pressed to get insane numbers there mainly because of how risky and expensive imbuing is. The only real OP thing is the custom imbued weapons that a few people have. As far as numbers go, the shard has fewer players then OSI so individual strength is compensating for smaller numbers.
OR, in math terms, UO is based on equations and those equations havent changed, the only thing changed is that some of the input numbers are higher, but its the equations that balance things out. On the other hand, when you introduce a weapon that has every imaginable property on it, that changes the equations. This is why craftable weapons were limited on OSI to number of properties.
There is no reason why someone should have to sacrifice crafting skills to get one more fighting skill, I like having one character that can fight, fix gear and gather resources. There is also no reason to have a character with only one particular weapon skill, you cant use a mace and a sword at the same time, why shouldnt you be able to pick the right weapon for the situation?

Blue betty

I don't see how you can argue with what the two biggest resources for uo information say regarding this topic. I don't see how its not OP to hit with a weapon for 60 and then be able to hit with fs for 60 as well. My point is the game was made that way for a reason. Although it is fun to be OP, the novelty wears off shortly.

Domos

Because the pvp caps are the same as OSI, so a mage on OSI can hit you just as hard with a flame strike as a mage here, and a dexxer on OSI can hit you just as hard because of the damage inc cap. There are plenty of dexxer mages on OSI, sure they are a little less of both BUT so is everyone fighting them.

Blue betty

you are missing my point.

Pandora's New Global Chat

Updates & Events

White Walker Invasion Event by Miki McNaughty
[June 03, 2020, 03:52:32 AM]

Community

Need help please by Konan
[October 02, 2023, 12:49:41 PM]

Hi there, Im Coragin, my intro and a couple questions. by Coragin
[May 31, 2022, 01:16:13 AM]

Looking For Guild by Lovemachine100111