Main Menu
Welcome Guest.
Please log in.

Ping spikes anyone?

Started by Keeblerboy, August 21, 2013, 07:49:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keeblerboy

I've notice over last few weeks huge ping variations.  My normal was 45 to 60 ping.  Average 55.  For the last few weeks it fluctuates from 78 to 880.  Average 200-400.  Some times much higher. It's reeking havoc with pvp casting.   I normally have an excellent connection.  Also my CPU is good.  Anyone have any ideas what it could be and any recommendations how to resolve this?

Keeb

zaxarus

Our ping from Germany to Pandora was always higher than the average ping of U.S. players, that's for sure and also understandable.
After there were changes the host did it changed to better values:
- Average (good): 175 to 250
- Average (bad): 250 to 550

But the last 7 to 10 days, this i can confirm, there are huge variations. Not all the time. But sometimes going over 1000 ping or more.
I am not sure if this has the same source (and idk the source^^) as the lags that are occuring also the last days. Sometimes i am standing still, like in a World Save, or my spells take a lot of seconds to take effect. Then i can die without knowing why and realizing later that a lot of numbers are flying above the head of my character.

There are situations when my ping is okay, but the lag almost kills me. There are also situations when both, lag and ping, are high and intense.
And no, not only in spawns. Can be an empty field or room. And when i am asking around in guild people can confirm lags and high pings, too. So i am sure it's not only me or us.

I want to make clear that this is not about that action delay thing, cause this was and is solved for me after Vorspire made some changes and i've adjusted my AssistUO settings.

This is about ping and lag. And as stated before: I am not sure if these are 2 different problems, because one can happen without the other one even starting.

No idea what that can be.

I am noticing these ping variations and lags a lot in the daily arena too. In other battles it's not that intense.

Tys

"My name is my name."

Silas DroSakhar

I'm sure there are many folks on this forum much better qualified to troubleshoot this problem than I, but to try to rule out server-side issues, you might try the following:

Try running a traceroute to the server.  (Windows is Tracert, Linux is Traceroute)This can show abnormalities in ping between different hops along the way to the server.  I just ran mine (Windows machine) using 'tracert play.pandorauo.com' for an example, and show 15 hops between my box and the server, with the slowest return being 40ms.  My avg roundtrip is 52ms.

If you do happen to notice a spike in one of the hops, try running the traceroute again, using that location as your destination.  Does it return the same ping?

With that done, if you are on a Windows box, run 'pathping play.pandorauo.com'.  This will do the same as trace route, but provide more detailed information concerning dropped packets and such.  It'll take about 6 minutes to run, but with the information in-hand, you should be able to call your ISP and help them narrow down the problem and make adjustments to better their service to you.

Have you noticed that your ping spikes happen during a specific time of day?  Perhaps there is a connection between a business running some massive backup that happens to run through the same hop as you do, backing things up?  Another issue that may or may not affect you could be the relays in your local ISP hub.  We were having similar issues last summer, and came to find out a temperature regulator switch in the nearby hub had burnt out, meaning the entire board was overheating and impacting everyone in the neighborhood.  These are just a couple of the things to consider, if the problem persists...

Hope your situation gets resolved soon, and good luck!

Build a man a fire, and you warm him for a day.  Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Keeblerboy

Daily pvp seems to the most noticeable situation. Guess it's due to all the casting I'm attempting. The lag is happening as well while casting. Sometimes it will not even cast.

Champ spawns seem to be ok for me.  Even running a whirlwind macro. Seems odd that my client is stable 50+ creatures on the screen.  The ping is still high but no noticeable lag.

Keeb

Keeblerboy

Thank you for all the suggestions Silas.  I will look into a few if these this evening.  My connection is 50/25 Mbps. It's very rare for me to ever have any ping/lag issues. 

Keebs

rocktuff

I myself think this is a host problem last 7-14 days I too have been having huge freezes never had this before. Almost lock up like a world save but it isn't. I have died many times lately due to the lag spikes.
Long Live John Elway

Horns Nigel

To be honest, I've noticed no differance at all lately.....Nigel
Nigel Horns Guild leader and Surgeon (SoP) Seekers of Peace, Pandora UO   
Aligned with D.A.T. That Guild and KoN

Walker

I've had multiple issues.

1. Freezing up without being able to move/talk while people around me run around and talk like nothing is wrong.

2. Client freezing up to where everything on the screen freezes up (like a world save) then it suddenly unfreezes. Usually last 5-10 seconds.

3. Consistent lag. I think my ping has doubled in the last few weeks.

Not sure what is causing it and with my power supply blowing on me I can't do any testing at this point.

GM NollKoll

Quote from: Walker on August 21, 2013, 10:42:50 AM
I've had multiple issues.

1. Freezing up without being able to move/talk while people around me run around and talk like nothing is wrong.

2. Client freezing up to where everything on the screen freezes up (like a world save) then it suddenly unfreezes. Usually last 5-10 seconds.

3. Consistent lag. I think my ping has doubled in the last few weeks.

Not sure what is causing it and with my power supply blowing on me I can't do any testing at this point.

could perhaps help you on that freezing part, tried putting razor.exe/assistuo.exe , client.exe and uo.exe in run as admin, and run in win xp sp3 mode?
Its hard to please everyone..
But..
I think i can say im among the best people teaser that exists at the moment.

Dwarvey

My ping is always high, and I live in the US. However I have 3 teenage daughters, a wife, and a 12 year old son sapping my bandwith from the wireless.

I'm kinda used to it.

Ladibug

I've been pinging around 220-600 lately....when normally i ping around 40.  :-\
I <3 my Soul Family

sebastian

but there is no lag, instant freezing problem I think I connect Turkey with unnecessary items will be deleted from the server and unnecessary animal houses and how much unused goods passenger locked if the mount were identified and deleted pretty clearly occupy a benefit I do not understand really not nice at all frustrating experiencing momentary freezes.

Keeblerboy

Momentary freeing is a better way of describing it.   I have checked ping right after or just before total freeze and have seen it as high as 2250.   My normal average is around 50 or so.  This seems to be somewhat random.

sebastian

Quote from: Keeblerboy on August 27, 2013, 06:17:56 PM
Momentary freeing is a better way of describing it.   I have checked ping right after or just before total freeze and have seen it as high as 2250.   My normal average is around 50 or so.  This seems to be somewhat random.

nothing more than anything else instant freezing lag problems.

King Kong

Hmm... Went through and did some checks.

Server is in Dallas, Texas.

I am in Los Angeles.

Been averaging a ping of 43 all night which is really good.

Long Live the King... So please vote everyday. Cause I want to live.

Pandora's New Global Chat

Updates & Events

White Walker Invasion Event by Miki McNaughty
[June 03, 2020, 03:52:32 AM]

Community

Need help please by Konan
[October 02, 2023, 12:49:41 PM]

Hi there, Im Coragin, my intro and a couple questions. by Coragin
[May 31, 2022, 01:16:13 AM]

Looking For Guild by Lovemachine100111
[May 06, 2022, 11:01:22 AM]

Saying Hello by Roxxorman