Main Menu
Welcome Guest.
Please log in.

Collection of advice for returning or new players

Started by J.Beuys, March 02, 2015, 12:39:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.Beuys

This is not supposed to be a organized, well tought out, super edited, post.

Its aim is just to deliver advice and strategy for whoever wants/need it

I am not a native english speaker. Hope its readable.

THIS IS FOR HUMANS, SOME STUFF MAY BE EQUAL FOR GARGS/ELFS

Anyone can copy this, edit this, make it better looking, post somewhere else, whatever, i dont care.

1- Good skills to aim for when beginning
-chivalry  75+ (enemy of one,consecrate weapon, divine fury)
-bushido  85+ ( with 50+ you can honor mobs for extra damage)
-magery  80+ ( big emergency greater heals/ ability to mark runes)
-Resist spells 100 ( just spam weaken on yourself) grants 40 to each resist when naked (doesnt stack with armor)
-necromancy 100 ( to cast vampiric embrace, which grants life steal and mana regen)
-"insert random weapon skill" ( archery is advised)
-tactics 100 ( 100% more damage)
-anatomy 100 ( 20% more damage)
-healing  75+ ( raises very fast when hunting)
-meditation 100 (mana regen)
-focus 100 (stamina regen and mana regen)

2- random pandora knowledge
- use [vote everyday and help pandora grow while getting vote tokens. these can be sold or used and are more valuable then pandora coins.
-Save your status ball for when you have used at least a  stat scroll.
-when using a stat ball chose 217 dex, 10 int, and the rest on strenght. (you obviously need gear with int and mana increase before doing this, keep in mind you need a 75 mana pool to cast vampiric embrace.)
- you can buy bulk arrows and reagents at stones inside luna bank.
-taming is very good on UO, coupled with no skill cap you can solo many stuff with pets and a weapon
if you are serious about uo in pandora, raise taming.
- when using the book that grants 75 on 3 skills be sure to chose animal taming 75
-lock animal lore at 0.0 ( that grants more fails and speeds up the process) and tame bulls on moonglow moongate until GM or  83.1, then tame ridgebacks till 95.1, then ki-rins or unicorns till gm
-if u are going to train  taming from 30 i advise you to look for jewelry with +taming on it BEFORE, so you can just tame bulls anyway. :D
-be social, polite, comprehensive, eventually people will notice you and help you.
-use the command [Pm insertnamehere to ask people questions, usually better then global chat which is [c
-when you have young status you wont be attacked in trammel, so use it to your advantage to train skills such as provocation and discordance.
- when you die as "[young player]" you keep everything in your pack no matter if you are in felluca, trammel, etc.

3- gearing up advice [brand new player]

ARMOR/JEWELRY

- take advantage of the new player dungeon. farm the mobs in there for the equipment runes
-ANYONE can socket runes on equipment
-mobs will drop runes on variable intensities. so you need to farm them for a while to collect the best runes
-example: Strenght runes will drop with values 6, 9 and 12.
-use 6s and 9s and save 12s for decent gear
-at some point you might just ignore low intensity runes and really seek out intermediary or highest available NPdungeon runes which are:
Damage increase 20%
SwingSpeedincrease 20%
HitChanceIncrease 12
strengh/dex/int 12
luck 80
low reagent cost 16
spell channeling
hit point regen 4
hit life leech 30
hit point increase 16 ( i think i got a 16 once,, not sure to be honest, 12 are confirmed)
hit area effects

-SAVE perfect NPdungeon runes for when you find decent gear!! ( be smart :D )

-MOST of your damage will come from your 'jewelry'
there are seven runes from NPdungeon that can be imbued to jewelry and take a slot.
those are: str/dex/int/HCI/SSI/DI/LRC
Luck can be imbued to any piece and wont take a slot.

What you wanna do is find jewelry with 7 open rune slots and socket the aforementioned runes into them, increasing your overall dps.

-the NP LRC kit is good for macroing casting skills, not for hunting. dont socket it.

-Use your new player cash to buy leather runic pieces from player owned stores.
- Keep a look for headpieces, desired prperties are lower mana cost, mana regen at this point.
-those are intermediate equipment and can be used till later stages of the game
-when looking for runic pieces look for the ones with Lower mana cost, stamina increase and good resists
-try to cap all your resists at 70 with your runic leather. ( its ok if one or two resist are 65 or so)
- dont use leather gorget, use a necklace.
-IF you'll be using vampiric embrace, try to have more then 70 fire resist ( vamp embrace makes you weaker to fire)
-socket hit point increase, hit point regen, low reagent cost and luck on your runic pieces.

-Buy a regular sash, half-apron from a tailor. you can socket luck and LRC from NPdungeon on them.
-Buy a quiver from a player store, you can socket damage increase and HCI on those. (among other)
-Get a talisman from NPdungeon, socket it with str/dex/int and two other desirable stats (DI,HCI or LRC)

WEAPON

When it comes to pvm, you MUST use a weapon with armor ignore special move.
If you are not using armor ignore, you are missing on a TON of damage.
In Insula, near the training elementals there are good starter weapons on the floor.
It is not a coincidence that most of them have the armor ignore special. When i started i used a Kryss.
You cant imbue those with runes.

Initial properties you should have by now: 100 or more LRC, 40+ HCI, 80+ DI, 75+ SSI, good resists
500+luck

4- gearing up advice [intermediate]

Hunting for elemental weapons and defensive jewelry

SO, now you want to find a elemental weapon ( thats does whatever divided or not elemental damage)
that has ARMOR ignore special .

-options
Composite bows
War axes
Hammerpicks
Broadsword
Kryss

when you get it imbue it with spell channeling, damage increase, hit chance increase, life leech
if you imbue it with hit area you will aggro more stuff onto you and i advise against it

desired properties on such weapons:
slayers, mana leech, hit lightning,

mana leech is VERY good to be able to chain multiples armor ignore...you can buy a rune from players for 500k.

Like i said on beginners guide, you have seven runes available on NP dungeon that can be imbued onto jewelry. so now you want to find jewels with only 3 properties ( you can unravel some properties with help of experienced players if need be)

You are looking for "defense chance increase" " lower mana cost" and casting properties.

Something like:

DCi 10-15, Lower mana cost 4-8, Fast cast recovery 3
Fast casting 1 fast cast recovery 3 DCI 10-15
Fast cast 1 FCR 3 LMC 4-8

Its easy but time consuming to find nice jewelry and weapons.
Defense chance increase is your ticket to go to champ spawns. to be able to withstand the attacks of several mobs while casting wither or whirlwind strike.
Lower mana cost is your ticket to SPAM wither or whirlwind strike or ignore armor.

After you find your good jewelry, imbue it with the best runes you got from NPdungeon.

5- Hunting for items/gold advice

So, first of all, you need high luck to get good items. My personal experience was that you only begin seeing items with good intensities around 800-900 luck. with 1000 luck you WILL find the good stuff!
So, what you need to do to get 1000 luck is to farm the earth elementals that drop luck runes on new player dungeon. Socket luck 50-80 on all your items until you reach 1000(remember you can socket a sash and a half apron too). Luck above 1000 have diminishing returns. meaning it doesnt matter much after 1000 luck.

- Hunting for gold/items as an intermediate player:

- WSF library can be reached via moongate, under the "new pandorian citizens" tab
- mark runes for "balors" spawns. those give like 2k each, tons of drops ( not that good intensity) and pandora coins. pandora coins are worth a lot. around 250 pandora coins can be sold for 500k to anothr player. Beware that balors have a slow respawn and you will need to take a break.
- if you are a tamer, you can do sandcrabs as well, white wyrms are a very good starting pet. ( keep in mind you should always look for pets with high physical and fire resists) ( sandcrabs drop a very rare item " robe of sands" that can be sold for millions)

ASIDE from this custom pandora stuff above, i will mention other spwns i have used and where i have been succesful finding good gear or getting gold.

If you are weak, or in need to test your hotkeys and skills, shame trammel is a nice dungeon to farm.
Elder gazers are easy kills, drop magical stuff and respawn fast. Blood elementals are nice too.
I used to cycle through all balors, then go to shame and kill all gazers and blood elementals, them move to hythloth and kill some daemons, move to hedge maze and kill daemons,  balors again. rinse, repeat.

I found my first good elemental weapon from a daemon on hedge maze trammel.
It was a mace fight elemental weapon with 35 hit lightning. As this is a no skill cap shard, i advise you to GM all the combats and use all weapons. when you find a good elemental weapon, buy the 105 power scroll for whatever the combat skill it uses.

NAMED MOBS

WHEN you are a little bit more confident and have found a elemental weapon, its time to kill named mobs. These will grant you good gold per hour, good drops and you will start getting minor artifacts ( which most suck, but a few are useful, like heart of the lion, totem of the void)

The best place to farm named mobs is BEDLAM
You NEED to do a quest in order to be able to enter BEDLAM
believe me it is worth it.
http://www.uoguide.com/Bedlam

The thing about bedlam is that the named mobs there spawn as paragon very often. and paragons have VERY good intensities and drop a TON of stuff and DOUBLE their gold.
There is a balor that spawns faster then normal balors inside bedlam as well.
Killing paragons will eventually result in receiving minor artifacts.
Use vampiric form, honor mobs, enemy of one them, consencrate and armor ignore them to make fast work of any mob in there. If you have the [Young player] status, mobs wont aggro until you aggro them. Mobs will drop 2-4k each kill and spawn somewhat fast.

In bedlam i managed to find item such as:

bracelet with faster cast 1 faster cast recovery 3 defense chance increase 15 from paragon master theophilus
composite bow with elemental damage and demon slayer property on "red death" ( which will spawn paragon but wont have the paragon tag)
ring with faster cast 1 faster cast recovery 2 from master theophilus paragon

Other then bedlam, there are named mobs with good drops, paragons status at Blighted grove ( Mel peerless, trammel) the spawn there is harder then bedlam and drops less gold, but drops tons of stuff just like bedlam, just harder and less profitable. I believe twisted weald would be as nice as bedlam but it is a pvp zone and i didnt test the place.

At that time i used to cycle through balors/ bedlam / mel/ bedlam/mel/balors, rinse and repeat for good gold, drops, minor artifacts, pandora coins.

Sell your coins, stack gold, buy your skill/stat powerscrolls, mana leech and hit lightning runes and you can start having a taste of endgame.

6- moving into endgame [champions] [doom]

these are what will net you tons of gold.
pandora war artifacts from doom range from 4 millions to a ton of millions.
120 skill scrolls range from 1million to tons of millions.

People solo this stuff on pandora, so you dont need to be uber geared to start doing them.
get friends, a guild, or farm a golden skull and offer free rides to doom, team up with people and experiment the endgame. To solo doom you will need a pet and a good imbued slayer (undead or daemon, or both) armor ignore weapon. ( 110+ weapon skill and 70+ hci/dci, 30+ LMC is advised)

I cant speak of soloing champions ATM.

GOOD GAME FELLOWS! HAVE FUN

B.

Tyrone Biggums

Very nice new player guide. Only advice I'd change is trying to get jewels with 1-2 good properties. You can take off things you don't need. A nice 2/1 or 3/1 bracelet will help on imbues. The only thing that can't be takin off is skills so try to stay away from jewels with skills for end game jewels  also for spawns and a group of monsters I suggest a magical shortbow rather than an axe with whirlwind. The shortbow runs off of mana so no need to worry about arrows and each tier it goes up the range/damage increases.

Don't forget about the training eles in insula. You can work up many skills here as well as your pets skills. The hiryu new players start with is a very nice pet and rideable. I'd suggest working that up to tank and learn how to use a pet before looking for something else.

Remember you cannot repair the new player gear that you start with so try not to waste good imbue rues on it. Most vets will craft you a suit for little to no cost to get you on your feet.

With 200 dex you can bandage at max speed but remember you will be cursed a lot by both mobs and players which is why the 217 is advised in the guide. I've always suggested 215 but 217 just to be safe.

The coins vary in prices but never sell pcoins for less then 2k a coin and ocoin/pvp coins and vote tokens for less then 10k. You will find people paying more but these are good base prices. A few days of farming coins will get you enough gold to buy those imbue runes to really pump up your gear an weapons.

Very nice guide :)   Also be sure to check out our wiki. I spent a few hours updating it. If anyone finds things wrong or would like a new guide feel free to send me a message.

Nice work sir

King Kong

Great advice J.Beuys and thank you for posting this.

Making it a sticky.

Long Live the King... So please vote everyday. Cause I want to live.

Axle Stonehands

I have visited some shards where the systems was so complicated that even a UO veteran would have trouble getting anywhere. It speaks well of Pandora's designers, gms, etc - that a player can come in and figure out good ways in which to advance. Glad to have you as a fellow citizen - keep up the good work everyone.

Miki McNaughty

Welcome to Pandora Axel!

Those who take a moment t0 realize that a character you have to train allows you learn the basic ins and outs of not only UO but your server as well. It allows you the time to meet people, make friends, ask questions and develop your interests on what you really want to learn and discover. As a nine year veteran of OSI Great Lakes, I can truly say I have done more, seen more, and am still learning more in my three years on Pandora than all my years on Great Lakes. There is no limit here for your character, only what you limit your character too. Yes, it takes time, no it isn't easy, but anything worthwhile never is. The pride in being able to solo your first champion, learning to battle, looting that rare whatever off of a mob you never thought you would ever see, let alone kill, or even finally being able to imbue that wicked weapon you have been craving. The list goes on and on.
Take your time, enjoy and see you there. Welcome!

Miki McNaughy {PVP)
When Death comes for you, you shouldn't show up with perfect bones and ripped abs, instead, you should slide in sideways with a chocolate bar in one hand, a glass of wine in the other, screaming "Holy Shit what a RIDE!"

J.Beuys

thanks for all the supportive replies

indeed it is a great and complicated game with many differente ways to approach it

the approach of this guide is more aggressive mainly because i'm a returning player and  i was craving to do champions and doom again

i thought it'd take me forever but with the appropriate knowledge and resources available here
you can bypass many boring things, like searching for an lrc kit... or filling different spellbooks.
although a case may be made in favor of the complete uo experience
many of us has already went through multiple servers, characters, eras of uo and may find
refreshing to progress faster.

long live pandora

King Kong

Quote from: Axle Stonehands on March 03, 2015, 02:17:13 PM
I have visited some shards where the systems was so complicated that even a UO veteran would have trouble getting anywhere. It speaks well of Pandora's designers, gms, etc - that a player can come in and figure out good ways in which to advance. Glad to have you as a fellow citizen - keep up the good work everyone.

Appreciate the kind words!

Long Live the King... So please vote everyday. Cause I want to live.

Preachyr

I have a question as a new player and figure it will fit well here instead of starting a new thread.

With no cap on total skill points, is there any point in making multiple characters or do most people just train up all the skills on a character and switch out gear as needed... Or what?

I guess what im really asking is if there is any reason NOT to just train up all the magic and combat skills on a character... Kind of seems like the server would end up with a bunch of super characters running around making the content rather trivial.

Thanks.

Falada

Hello

It is enough to have one character of course. But with the recents changes in Spellcasting you might want to try out a more magery based character too (That would make two if you also want a strong fighter) and also if you plan to use imbuing a lot in the future you should think about making a Gargoyle for Imbuing because they have a Race Bonus in this skill. You don't have to fully skill an imbuing Gargoyle if you don't want to, only use the needed skills, but of course you can ;)
Hope that helps a little bit. If you got more questions feel free to ask here or ingame. :)
greets Fala

driver123

sbobetgclub มือถือ

So, what do you think? Do you agree? Thanks again to share articles like these, I have come across. I haven't been able to find any information despite searching the web for weeks now.

Pandora's New Global Chat

Updates & Events

White Walker Invasion Event by Miki McNaughty
[June 03, 2020, 03:52:32 AM]

Community

Need help please by Konan
[October 02, 2023, 12:49:41 PM]

Hi there, Im Coragin, my intro and a couple questions. by Coragin
[May 31, 2022, 01:16:13 AM]

Looking For Guild by Lovemachine100111
[May 06, 2022, 11:01:22 AM]

Saying Hello by Roxxorman