Main Menu
Welcome Guest.
Please log in.

New to the "new" UO, few questions.

Started by Madcow17, January 23, 2011, 11:38:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madcow17

I'm definitely not new to UO. I've played since 1997 but when all of the scary new changes went in, I stuck to free shards that used pre-UO:R rules. I saw this server and decided to check out what's going on with newer UO. I feel like a complete newbie again and just wanted to ask a few questions..

What is it people do here to acquire wealth? Do people farm particular monsters because they drop mass piles of gold? Is the gauntlet still active with tons of players at any given time trying to maul tougher mobs and then dashing for the loot as if it was an amazing steak on a plate in front of a group of famished people?

Rather than ask a ridiculous string of questions, what would I, not knowing much about this world, need to work toward in order to start making some good cash? and by good I mean seven/eight digit good..=D I'm not looking to get rich in a day. I just hate grinding earth eles for a week only to find out there are much better things I could be doing to make money.

Or, perhaps there's a new player tips section I didn't see?

Sorry if this is a completely regurgitated question.

Anyways, cool shard so far. I'm loving the gargoyle (flying is cool, and throwing weapons are cool as well!) and you guys did a great job of taking all of the tedious labor out of getting your first character going. I'm nearly GM hiding, throwing, swords is high, focus is GM.. etc.. just since last night. coolness.

edit: Also, whats the going rate on a 100% LRC suit here?

Kronen

oh dear, i'm sorry no one's replied to you yet - hopefully you've found help more forthcoming in game.

if you can be bothered to train taming and get yourself a decent pet or 2, gold will start to flow more easily.  even just rune beetle (98ish taming) and mare (95 taming), or mare and dragon (94ish taming), can net you some reasonable gold and items by hunting, for example, blood elementals in shame or several ilsh dungeons. i think, but not 100% on this, that the amount of gold is higher on mobs killed in fel rulesets (fel, ilsh, malas).  a greater dragon is the easiest reasonably powerful non donator pet to obtain (other big pets have a very low respawn rate of 2 weeks or so by my guess).  it requires around 105 taming, but you're gonna want 110 taming/110+ animal lore to be able to control it reliably.  

if you don't wanna go down the taming route, solen warriors are a nice step up from earth eles in terms of gold and gem drops.  these can be found on wind mountain, or solen hives.

training necro, spirit speak, resist and healing is a good idea too, for champ spawns (you'll be needing powerscrolls, and there's about 60k gold dropped when you kill a champ)

having said all that, earth eles aren't so bad to farm, they have a chance to drop an imbuing material - earth essence - and last i checked these were selling for 25k or so each.

as for gargoyle armour, you'll only get this in the ter mur facet from mobs (or certain player vendors in luna, for example)

make some friends and get into a guild if you can, teams can still do more, faster, than a solo player.

Pandora's New Global Chat

Updates & Events

White Walker Invasion Event by Miki McNaughty
[June 03, 2020, 03:52:32 AM]

Community

Need help please by Konan
[October 02, 2023, 12:49:41 PM]

Hi there, Im Coragin, my intro and a couple questions. by Coragin
[May 31, 2022, 01:16:13 AM]

Looking For Guild by Lovemachine100111
[May 06, 2022, 11:01:22 AM]

Saying Hello by Roxxorman