Main Menu
Welcome Guest.
Please log in.

Game play and Etiquette

Started by Flint Fireforge, August 16, 2016, 11:40:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flint Fireforge

Play Fair
Cheating and using exploits is an admission that you can't win without them. Furthermore, you'll find winning a fair fight a lot more rewarding. If winning is really important to you, keep practicing and learn from what successful players are doing. Should the competition prove to be too much for you, finding a different game is a better solution than cheating.
Be A Good Sport
Laughing at defeated opponents, bragging about your achievements, overdoing it with taunts and emotes, all make you look childish. The fact is, even children should know better. An appropriate emote used at the right moment can be a beautiful thing, but when it accompanies every encounter in the game, it turns into that much more mindless spam, which brings us to our next rule.

Don't Spam
You really don't need to hammer the chat system with WTS messages to sell an item, nor do you need to use every channel in the game when there is a channel dedicated to trade. If people aren't interested, repeating a message in chat every 3 seconds isn't likely to change that. Wait a minute or two, and maybe you'll start to get through to a new audience.

Spare Us the Caps
C'mon people, this is a no-brainer that has been around since the dawn of the Internet - don't use all capital letters in chat. It's the text equivalent of yelling at everyone, and nobody wants to be yelled at.

You Were a Noob Too
Nobody can pick up a new game and instantly familiarize themselves with all its nuances and details. There are heaps of acronyms and slang particular to each game, and it's absurd to expect people to know these things without a little help from other players. Someone once explained to you what was going on, now you can do the same, rather than simply telling them they're "noobs" and leaving it at that.

A Little Teamwork, Please
If you're part of a team, try to cooperate with your teammates a little. Rambo-style gameplay rarely pays off in a team-oriented game, so don't expect your teammates to be right behind you when you go kamakazi into a gauntlet of enemies. Also keep in mind that actually winning the match is more important than being at the top of the scoreboard.

Don't Be a Quitter
It's amazing how often people will disconnect without a word when they're losing, or drop out when their group encounter isn't going well. If you don't think you can win, surrender. If your instance run isn't going well, try to work it out politely or offer some friendly advice. At times when your group isn't up to the task, explain the problem to others without insulting them. You never know what kind of solutions people will come up with until you give them a chance.

Not Everyone Who Wins Is a Cheater
Just because another player kills you a couple times does not mean that they're cheating. As good as you may think you are at any game, there are likely a lot of players who are just as good or better than you are. If you're as hot as all that, then start playing professionally in LAN tournaments where there is no way to cheat. If you're almost certain that someone is cheating, report them to an admin and let them investigate rather than throwing around accusations you can't back up.

Camping Is a Lame Tactic
Although some games encourage it, camping spawn points and corpses is generally a lame tactic. In many cases it's only possible because of flawed game design, but it's still a weak strategy that players with any dignity don't resort to.

Just remember these are the thoughts of FlintFireforge Please feel free to comment and add more. Just because we have had a few bad apples don't mean we wont find some really good ones in the Barrel. I honestly though long and hard about no longer admitting new players to CoF but that's not why the guild was formed it was formed for friends and people who love to play UO. I'm done rambeling for now.
To be or not to be or to simply enjoy the game with good friends.

Empati

thank you for opening this topic,vet players knovv good players alvvays getting more stronger more fastly,the team play very importand part of this game,if you going to cheat ppl or if you going to play unfair, peoples not going to like you also they dont vvant to trade vvith you, just remember this,thx all,

King Kong

Pretty good common sense post. Thanks Flint.

Long Live the King... So please vote everyday. Cause I want to live.

ChickeN

who's this post for? new players.. vets.. someone who did something wrong in your guild? I'm a bit confused.. seem like your lashing out or lecturing a bit... kinda makes the shard sound bad imo... cheating, exploits? whats that about.. I'm sure you put some thought into this, I just think its not hitting the mark you'd hoped it would.. sounds like I'm being talked down to when I read it, like I did something wrong lol, even tho I know I didn't.. maybe PM me in game and explain it a bit.. idk

Flint Fireforge

No one should be offended by the post unless you have a reason to be offended. The shard needs to grow not stagnate, and maybe a just a this is how you should play and respect others has been needed to be said. Sorry if ya think this is directed at you it was kinda directed at everyone. Its just a courtesy thing.
To be or not to be or to simply enjoy the game with good friends.

ChickeN

yeah well, I'm offended cause the person who decided to lecture the whole shard on morals, i've personally seen do everything on this list you've posted, it was just yesterday you posted in global an all caps "yelling" text, I mean, really this is like a smoker who just quit telling everyone about how to not get cancer, or someone who is obese and finally went on a diet telling everyone about healthy choices, its laughable.. I've literally been here since 1 month after the server went live.. and all these things your complaining about.. cause lets not lose site here, this is a list of things you don't like that you've seen ppl do.. its a list of your complaints about your fellow pandorians.. that's whats offencive, and the whole time bashing your server.. intentional or not.. that's how it reads.. to a new player reading that.. why would they stay, let alone start here.. everyone wants the server to grow.. I've been trying to do my part to help that happen for years and years now.. and I'm not alone.. there are many good ppl here and many of them help, even after being burned, repetedly in some cases..  we still keep trying.. if something happened to you or in your guild.. that's on you, its not up the whole server to figure out how to play so we'll make you happy, if you have issues with ppl here take it up with them or let Kon or Noll know.. don't call out the whole server on the forums lol.. take about courtesy..  and btw the trade chat has been gone for years.. just after ppl gave me greef for trying to get ppl to use that channel for trades.. Kon removed it.. so in closing, am I looking for a fight over this.. of course not, but I'm also not looking for a lecture on game play.. most come here for fun to let off steam from our real lives... lets keep it simple, Pandoras ok.. thanks for the thought but a misguided follow thru, I'm not going to comment any further on this thread, I think its counter productive to getting new players to join our server and I'm not getting involved in a fight on the forums.. anyone who wants to talk about this issues with me.. PM me in game..

Edit: One quick point, when I wrote I've been here since 1 month after server went live, the point was that when I first started here, the pvp was so aggressive and the vets weren't as quick to help a new players, friends of friends was the player base at that time.. there was no 15min res after you died, there was reskill after reskill lol, and the trash talk was just as aggressive as the pvp, what I'm saying is there's always going to be that part of the game, you know it I know it, everyone does.. Pandora's still growing and learning as a shard.. always changing ppl in and out.. but without a doubt its always getting better, I can truly say the server is the best its ever been, and its always been good.. I played 1 free server before here, it died so I started looking.. I came here and never left.. not once.. theres a reason for that.. and theres a reason whoevers reading this has stayed, or will join.. and why vets keep coming back.. that's all.. I just think we got it better than we think we do sometimes... am I an angle.. lmao.. anyone who knows me I'm far from it.. but I like to think I'm fair and I try to help when I can.. like I said before, I'm not looking for a fight here, but I'm not really into hearing or reading something I see as a knock against the server I call home..

King Kong

Thank you for all your points folks. Archiving.

Long Live the King... So please vote everyday. Cause I want to live.

Pandora's New Global Chat

Updates & Events

White Walker Invasion Event by Miki McNaughty
[June 03, 2020, 03:52:32 AM]

Community

Need help please by Konan
[October 02, 2023, 12:49:41 PM]

Hi there, Im Coragin, my intro and a couple questions. by Coragin
[May 31, 2022, 01:16:13 AM]

Looking For Guild by Lovemachine100111
[May 06, 2022, 11:01:22 AM]

Saying Hello by Roxxorman