Main Menu
Welcome Guest.
Please log in.

Using the 3D Client

Started by TheZugg, October 01, 2012, 06:22:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheZugg

Hey guys and girls!

I must admit, I have not used the UO3D client since UO:LBR (AoS killed it for me in all honesty) but I have heard from a few friends wo still play OSI that the 'new' UOSE client is pretty good for what it is.
As I can see in the Wiki that we can use it here (albeit unsupported, which is fine by me) I was curious about it.

Do any of you guys use this on a day to day basis?
How does it compare to the good old 2D one we're all used to?

I think having played 'modern' MMOs in recent years has spoiled me, I have managed to get too used to the shinies in WoW/Aion/SWTOR etc.
Now I know that any UO client is never going to be at SWTOR standards, but was just wondering if it's worth the download when I finally get my new CPU (old one went pop fizzle bang, so awaiting €185 credit to get a new one as I was under warranty :D)

Saturn

Beats me! I haven't ever done 3D anything. I stop playing video games when they went all 3D...Requires way more focus and attention than i can ever afford.
Bring all your gold down to Pandora Supplies! We have everything you're looking for! South West Luna.

Horns Nigel

I never like 3d on UO, tried it long ago and hated it, 2d is the only way to go for me...Nigel
Nigel Horns Guild leader and Surgeon (SoP) Seekers of Peace, Pandora UO   
Aligned with D.A.T. That Guild and KoN

Maggdalena

I just can't look at the 3D version of UO without grimacing :(
Don't ask too many questions about what goes on at Alifanfaron's house on Weird Wednesdays. You might not be prepared for the answers.

Horns Nigel

Nigel Horns Guild leader and Surgeon (SoP) Seekers of Peace, Pandora UO   
Aligned with D.A.T. That Guild and KoN

Thatperson

I played EC for about a year before joining pandora so ill tell you whats good and whats bad..

Best thing of all is the smooth screen movement, its butter smooth and makes the legacy client look unplayable (though im back on 2D now and used to it again)
You can zoom in or out and gain a little extra view ahead or look closely to pick your ring up
It will fit your monitor resolution properly (huge problem for me with 2d on 40" lol)
The targetting system is great and makes magery much easier (watch out around guildies though)
The macro system is better and can repeat 10 times and chain better
Grid patterned bag is awesome for easy organisation (ruins the UO feel for me though)
Right clicking an item in a corpse will deposit it straight into your bag
Paperdoll has slots for eveything along sides so you can take tunic etc off under your robe
You can have your status window and visual health bar up at the same time
And thats about all i can remember...

The worst thing is gumps can't be closed by right clicking and the close buttoon is so tiny it requires a vast amount of concentration to click, this causes gump pollution as you start leaving health bars up to avoid closing them. I understand that in 2D its easy to accidentally close important gumps and this cures it but i would prefer to hold shift>right click or something.
The only other real bad bit is the fact you are restricted to hotbars and cant place tiles all over your screen, granted, it cleans it up, but it bugged me.
Asthetically, speaking as someone who played 98-03 and was ready to be a hater, i thought they did rather a good job, on the scenery at least, which looks just how you want it, uo in 1080.
However, a lot of the models look crappy, a bit cartoony and baloony. Liches, instead of looking like evil grandfathers of wizardry now look like ghetto pimps, and hyru's look like wierd lizards... just awfull
The paperdoll and backpack are just rectangles and all text is plain, not cool and medievil.
basically what it adds in fluidity it loses in charm, all in all though you will find that you easily get used to it and probably quite like it, but you will hunger for the old school, especially as hyru's are something people actually use on pandora.

Hope this answers your questions :)

TheZugg

I assume the UOSA Launcher from the Wiki doesn't work now?
Downloaded and extracted it to the game folder but it still wont allow me to log in.  Almost seems like it's trying to connect to the OSI servers.

Shame :(

Arczii

How to connect here using 3d client? I downloaded all required files and still nothing.
I have the newest client verson 4.0.27.9
Any solution?

Angel0178

I've posted a working UOSA loader on the forums. Here is the link for the message:

http://pandorauo.com/Ultima/index.php/topic,9922.msg21102/topicseen.html#new

Pandora's New Global Chat

Updates & Events

White Walker Invasion Event by Miki McNaughty
[June 03, 2020, 03:52:32 AM]

Community

Need help please by Konan
[October 02, 2023, 12:49:41 PM]

Hi there, Im Coragin, my intro and a couple questions. by Coragin
[May 31, 2022, 01:16:13 AM]

Looking For Guild by Lovemachine100111
[May 06, 2022, 11:01:22 AM]