Main Menu
Welcome Guest.
Please log in.

Nostalgia

Started by xcalibre, September 23, 2012, 10:12:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SapoJax

@xcalibre

I totally understood where you were coming from when you posted this. I didn't think you were whining, but merely stating the things you used to really enjoy.

I actually thought it was a clever way of doing it.

@zaxarus

I think it is incredibly difficult to find the balance. I remember imbuing got screwed because of an exploit that flooded the shard with mats. The power shifted to the few who had access to them. A system had to be devised where new players could  eventually reach the level to which vets were already at.

How do you do that though?

Someone with a donny pet who can blast through anything. Well he'll be upset or get bored if everything is too easy.  But if you make everything hard enough for donny pets, then it leaves those without them unable to kill anything unless half the shard joins in with them.

Gargs doing 600 dmg? See THAT is the kind of thing I look for. That is why I experiment with weapons, their abilities , and where they might come in handy. I spent the last two weeks creating Slayer weaps....only to find out they didn't work.

Upset? Yes.

All it did though was made me move my research to a new area...a new weap...a new plan. Maybe I can't reach 600 dmg but I've managed to hit 250hp of dmg a sec...so I guess it means it just takes me twice as long as a garg. Except that I swing faster. And I look cooler.

Cuz really...my armor is hot. Not stats wise. Looks wise. The grieves look is totally in this year.

Ask Paris Hilton.

My fear is not that people voice their concerns. Some do it intelligently , even if they are frustrated. Its the ones who just come in and demand and threaten and what have you. Donations are just that. Donations.

They don't give us the right to dictate policy.

I can only speak for myself, but every time something has had to change "forthe good of the shard" Konstantine has always been straightforward with me, and in some cases even compensated for something he had to change. It was far beyond what he was obligated to do and I have always been appreciative of him for it.

I just hope we all remember that.

Most of all I hope we all realise....

BizKits armor is sexy. I had to throw that in again....cuz really....it is.

It's the grieves. Like Brad Pitt in Troy. But with lady bits.

zaxarus

Thanks for your response.

Yea, i think for a new player it will be difficult (if not impossible sometimes) to get the imbue mats he'd need. And same time a newplayer - that's what people tell them when they ask for money - should sell imbue mats? Impossible.
So i totally understand what you mean. Finding the "Balance of Everything" is an impossible task. But especially with the imbue mats and how to get those there is a large advantage to those, who have access to doni pets and awesome gear compared to the players who still need everything, from weapons to jewels and armor.
And to the gargish damage: It's ok. But in some ways it's an advantage that has no equivalent for the other races. So in terms of damage dealing a Garg ALWAYS has the advantage, in PvM AND PvP. (And please: If anyone now tries to tell me the human heavy crossbow would be comparable to the soul glaive... no, please don't^^.)

It's not that i would rage because of changes. And not every change has to be to my advantage, that's okay and i can live with that. I don't even rage. I just don't understand some reasons for some changes. Why change something when it is running fine? So just fix the bugged things and then add new stuff. Maybe i am thinking in a too simple way, but as a principal this is the way - or not?

I am sure that Kon knows how to make Pandora prepared for the future and how to run it through good or bad times. That's not the point. And i do also think that he has a plan, no discussion needed.^^
It's just my feeling - at the moment! - that a few (major or minor) changes have (had) also negative effects on shard's population and the general atmosphere. So i don't want anyone to get the impression i would whine or rage or try to force any good changes (which i couldn't, btw^^). Maybe i miss the Pandora like it was a while ago. Maybe i have to get used to some new standards. ;)

Waiting for the Patch,

Tys
Tys

"My name is my name."

Alifanfaron

Hope no one takes this personally, but I think some of you guys are REALLY spoiled when it comes to imbuing. I remember when the only mats were res, EE, roughs, and relics. They were all very tough to get, and whatever you were imbuing had a 90% chance of breaking before you were even close to being done with it. I habitually broke weapons, jewelry, and armor that would make some people leave UO forever. A lot of you would probably have just quit if you played with our old break rate.

As for farming the current mats to imbue your gear up, it SHOULD be hard. Imbuing is a powerful skill that produces unimaginably strong gear. It should be something to aspire to, something that you have to work hard to achieve. Not something that you can do in 2 days by killing a handful of easy monsters then getting your imbues on the first try.

Imbuing is an end-game skill. And it's exponentially easier and more accessible to everyone on Pandora than it was a few years ago. Honestly if you're complaining about having to farm a mat for a day to get an imbue attempt off, then you're spoiled. And before anyone argues that imbuing being difficult is bad for the population, know that our playerbase was a lot higher when imbuing was maddeningly hard (lol hard). Remember when a new player in UO would actually have to put time and work in to build up a great character?

Just vote every day, do what you can to get our population up, and focus on what you like instead of what you dislike. It's more fun that way.
"Stop quoting things I never said"  -Maggdalena

SapoJax

@ Alifanfaron

Yeah it's exactly what I was saying. I was just illustrating the point that back then people raged and demanded changes and wanted imbuing to be easier.

Now all you need is patience. You can certainly earn enough money doing Travesty to buy the mats if you don't want to spend your time hunting for them.

You will always have to rob from Peter to pay Paul. I remember doing quite a bit of business back in the day with you back in the golden age of imbuing ;).

I certainly remember the night my guild almost had a Jonestown incident in my house on a night we blew up over 150 weapons.

I also remember the whooping and hollering on ventrillo when we finally finished a piece for someone.

We adapt.

The game will always change. It's why we still play it after 15 years. At least it's why I do.

That and my armor is hot. But I think I mentioned that already.

Alifanfaron

Quote from: SapoJax on September 24, 2012, 02:24:18 PM

I certainly remember the night my guild almost had a Jonestown incident in my house on a night we blew up over 150 weapons.

LOL! I feel your pain, and am glad you feel mine. We're friends for life now, forever bonded by the trauma that the old imbuing days have scarred us with.
"Stop quoting things I never said"  -Maggdalena

Maggdalena

Quote from: SapoJax on September 24, 2012, 01:05:13 AM
Do I want to go play anywhere else? Suckah please.

This is home and it will be for me til I get thrown out kicking and screaming. Even then I might still be here.

This made me  :)

And "ditto" !
Don't ask too many questions about what goes on at Alifanfaron's house on Weird Wednesdays. You might not be prepared for the answers.

Maggdalena

Mmm...Brad Pitt....Troy!

Great, I can't concentrate now!
Don't ask too many questions about what goes on at Alifanfaron's house on Weird Wednesdays. You might not be prepared for the answers.

SapoJax

Quote from: Maggdalena on September 24, 2012, 04:42:17 PM
Mmm...Brad Pitt....Troy!

Great, I can't concentrate now!

I have that effect on women.

Oh. Brad Pitt. Nevermind.

:P

xcalibre

I love UO because i have a lot to remember :P   I'm really happy to play on a FREE shard.  It's totaly awesome that this game after 15 years was so great.  Everyone in pandora help a shard like this one to be so great.

I'm happy because this post can make everyone to think in the past of UO and remember a part of the history.

Thanks all for every post on this forum !

Love you !

(And sorry for my english)

Pandora's New Global Chat

Updates & Events

White Walker Invasion Event by Miki McNaughty
[June 03, 2020, 03:52:32 AM]

Community

Need help please by Konan
[October 02, 2023, 12:49:41 PM]

Hi there, Im Coragin, my intro and a couple questions. by Coragin
[May 31, 2022, 01:16:13 AM]

Looking For Guild by Lovemachine100111