Main Menu
Welcome Guest.
Please log in.

[HowToGuide #02] How to... Attack Nearest Enemy via HotKey! (+Video)

Started by blindead, December 06, 2012, 10:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blindead

Hello, Blindead of SoP here again. Today I want to cover a little bit about using Razor macro to ease your hunting efforts a bit.

Preface
I played UO a long time ago, and when I played, i was a hardcore vanilla user. There was no razor back then, nor was there a market full of easyuo scripts. There was UOAssist, but I really didn't bother with it (if I knew the convenience that such assist programs can provide, I would have definitely used it).

Razor is an amazing tool. Now there are so many aspects of my gameplay that I rely on razor, and i just can't imagine playing without it anymore.

And one of the area (out of sooo many) in game that razor helps me with is battling. and to be quite specific about it, targeting.

Back when i played vanilla style, when I want to attack an enemy, I'd have to first drag up the gump to see the enemy's health, go into war mode, and double click the enemy to start attacking (and quite a lot of times, I'd forget to toggle back into peace mode, and start hacking away at my mount...). And while going on numerous hunting adventures with newer players, I have noticed that many still do this.

How it looks
A simple macro on razor has helped me eliminate such tedious process, so I'd like to share that with you. It's a simple macro that'd attack the nearest enemy by pressing a hotkey.

It looks like this :)

So... How does this work?
Simply, all this macro does is it selects the nearest enemy (grey or red) as the target, and performs attack on them. then it would perform cancel current target and clear target queue to prevent target stacking up or action queuing that hinders player's actions (such as using bandages) when spammed.

So... How do you record this macro?
Simple, oh, so simple.
Step 1. Create a new macro
Step 2. Hit "Record"
Step 3. Go to "HotKey" tab on Razor, find the category called "Targets"
Step 4. Scroll down to "Traget Closest Non-friendly" & hit "Execute Selected"
Step 5. Now, find "Attack Last Target" and also hit "Execute Selected"
Step 6. Find "Cancel Current Target" and hit "Execute Selected"
Step 7. Find "Clear Target Queue" and also hit "Execute Selected"
Step 8. go back to the "Macro" tab, and hit "stop recording"
Step 9. Add 300ms delay below "Exec: attack last target"

DONE! it seems long but it literally takes less than a minute to set up!

Then assign this macro with a hotkey on keyboard like below. and you are ready to go!

BONUS TIP #1
When you press the hotkey for this macro when you have the target cursor up (eg. When using a skill, like discord), what this macro does is attack the target while using the skill.

It really reduces the need for constant clicking and dragging.

EXAMPLE: USING DISCORDANCE ON MULTIPLE ENEMIES

1. When I am facing a multiple foes, I would first hit a hotkey for discordance, then when the target cursor is up, I'd press the hotkey for this macro to use the skill on the nearest enemy.

X
     O      ※            X
                     X

LEGEND::  O=ME      X=Enemy    ※=Discorded enemy

2. Then I'd flank the enemies, position myself closest to another enemy that isn't discorded, and will perform the exact same method as i just stated.

O
                 ※
             ※            X
                     X

3. And I'd repeat the step above until all my foes are discorded

※       O
             ※            ※
                     X

4. Now all the enemies are discorded and since I "attacked" them, they'd be coming in to surround me. Giving me a perfect opportunity to use Whirlwind and clear these weakened enemies.

※       
             ※       O   ※
                     ※

Above diagram might seem a little confusing. Perhaps I'll try to create a YouTube video for it or smth...

BONUS TIP #2
You can also add another skill or spell or ability into this macro! Take a look at my other macro I use to perform whirlwind on targets!

Every time I hit the hotkey for this macro, my character will use Whirlwind (Of course, my character would have a weapon with whirlwind on it), and attack it's nearest foe. Works amazingly well during champ spawns :)

That's it for now. I hope this can help some players out there in their quest for wealth and glory :) If you find this tip helpful, please write a comment below, and also, If you have a suggestion or have anything you'd like to know about; tell me on the forums or in-game; and I will do my best to cover them in a later series :)

EDIT: Here is a simple video of me utilizing all of the tips mentioned up there.
First, kiting around the enemies to discord them, then, using Whirlwind to finish them off. First time with both YouTube and Camtasia, i'll try to make it a bit HD in the future.

WATCH IT HERE ->>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgqlMRHpP0Q

P.S. Anyone know how to embed youtube videos on forum?

Horns Nigel

WOW...I want to learn more.....Nigel

Please post a mining macro?
Nigel Horns Guild leader and Surgeon (SoP) Seekers of Peace, Pandora UO   
Aligned with D.A.T. That Guild and KoN

Thatperson

Really good man, cant believe i never noticed that big "execute selected" button and i use loads of razor macros but have been using uo for targetting with troublesome results.
Another very handy macro is simply double clicking your pet to mount it.. When shrunk they get new item codes every time but when out they always have the same code so you can mount when in war mode, while running (or when pet's running away from you), when your pet is surrounded or on the brink of death for a quick getaway. A simple "dismount" razor hotkey gets you off all your pets so you never have to double click yourself again :)
Personally i use "clicking mouse scroll wheel" for "dismount" and "shift+middle mouse" to mount charger. "ctrl+middle mouse" to mount mare and "alt+middle mouse" for ethy so i can swap and change with ease all on one button
same applies for your shrink potion, just a macro to double click it and a hotkey for the macro

blindead

//Nigel
Heh, I am personally a fan of scripted resource gathering... They are necessary, quite important to maintain the shard, but I just can't get down and spend my time doing/writing them... I'd rather go out and kill the evil creatures of Pandora :)
Someone else (probably from SoP?) could write a step-by-step guide for it, because I don't think I can write about something I don't do...

//Thatperson
Thank you for your response! As far as my belief goes, I don't think one single player has all the knowledge and know-hows in a game, especially in a MMORPG like UO, simply for it's grandiose scale. Every player knows different aspect of the game that others might not. So I believe it is important that we share what we know, so others can learn--and not just learn the stuff, but learn to enjoy--bits on gameplay.

I, as an example, do use hotkey to 'dismount' pets, but have never really known a method to mount one. You learned something; I learned something! :) Thank you for sharing, I really appreciate it, and I believe others who read the post will too!

Pandora's New Global Chat

Updates & Events

White Walker Invasion Event by Miki McNaughty
[June 03, 2020, 03:52:32 AM]

Community

Need help please by Konan
[October 02, 2023, 12:49:41 PM]

Hi there, Im Coragin, my intro and a couple questions. by Coragin
[May 31, 2022, 01:16:13 AM]

Looking For Guild by Lovemachine100111
[May 06, 2022, 11:01:22 AM]

Saying Hello by Roxxorman