Main Menu
Welcome Guest.
Please log in.

Pandora Fall Cleaning. Need Replies.

Started by King Kong, September 22, 2011, 03:02:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

King Kong

So Pandora is bigger than ever. With that comes over a million items, creatures, npcs, monsters, etc in the game.

With that creates lag and long save times.

A Couple things I want to do to eliminate that, and I want the players involved to help me.

- Working on building a new newbie dungeon, something that uses part of the static map, which loads locally. The dungeon we have now was built when Pandora was much smaller, but it's completely custom with a ton of items hogging up server. Gonna nuke it. (Custom meaning, it's not from the OSI map, meaning the server has to load everything you see as opposed to your computer which is much faster)

- Going to soon switch save times so around once an hour. Now this will be worst if we crash for something and it backs up a bit. But we rarely crash and Pandora is a well engine'd machine.  I am not saying it will never happen, like all shard, it will once and awhile crash. 9 times out of 10 is when were putting new stuff in, and we expect bugs, once it's live we can fix it quick. But once an hour would barley ever be a wait time. And even waiting 20 seconds just once an hour is really easy.

- If you see something in Pandora that no one ever uses, weather is a TON of spawn, custom buildings, or deco etc. Please put in a page, not a PM -- and say "Hey I think you could delete all this stuff" -- We will check it out, if it's worthless we will get rid of the items on the server.

- Moving accounts to delete from non donators in 2 months. Meaning if your not a donator, and you do not log in for 2 whole months your account will be deleted. So if you take a break, jump on once every couple weeks just to refresh stuff.

- If you are a donator this will be 6 months time.

- This will drop worthless IDOc houses quicker, and get rid of a lot of junk.

- Throw away your garbage -- I am working on a thing where the more garbage you throw in a container the better reward you get. But thats on a long list, so just anything you never use, just dump it.

I am open to all ideas... Speak your minds...

Also I want to know your guys opinions on a resource wipe. Give like 2 week advanced, saying on this day, lumber, logs, fish, ore, ignots, etc will be deleted to start over on them. You can make whatever you need to make, train whatever you need to train before that time on your stock pile.
This will not only free up a lot of items on Pandora, but will give a fresh strart to the economy of resources?

I think I will be deleting all resources, but I want to know what you guys think first.

Long Live the King... So please vote everyday. Cause I want to live.

Ferris

*EDIT*

IMO Don't delete resources - the Britain Library and Vesper Museum were intended to be resource sinks on OSI. Unfortunately, it's just a pain to donate here because they do not accept commodity deeds. It's just incredibly tedious donating small piles of ingots/boards at a time so the ingots just sit in my bank instead.

I also noticed a change that occurred with mining a few patches ago - smaller piles of ore became mine-able. Prior to do this, only the large piles of ore could be mined, thus, we now have 4 different variations of ore rather than 1. Maybe changing it back to how it used to be could help a bit?

Same with fishing, we just have way too many variations of fish with no properties that just end up sitting in our banks.

Maybe making resource boxes or portable garbage cans more easily attainable could help some of this out?

IMO the Resource "economy" will always be flawed simply because we are allowed to gather them while unattended, unless this can be policed (which is damn near impossible) trying to fix the "value" of resources will be futile.

As far as a "newbie" dungeon, I would suggest using one of the current trammel "Virtue" dungeons. They already. for the most part, have a good layout along with a chance to drop a Virtue artifact, which could be helpful to a new player.

King Kong

Thank you Ferris for responding.

Keep in my, the exact thing you said, stuff sits in bank, containers etc, is a heavy thing on the shard. The economy is just a bonus, but my 100% concern is actually deleted the items them selfs off, not the economy.

There are millions of resources that Pandora needs to get rid on.

Long Live the King... So please vote everyday. Cause I want to live.

Ferris

I would also like to add that if you run around and take a look at people's houses, you'll notice an abundance of trinkets locked down on their roofs - Virtue artifacts, Minor Illshennar Artifacts, along with misc. named artifacts, etc.

The majority of these items have become obsolete due to imbueing. Maybe you could add away to turn these items in for a worthwhile item, similar to the Tokuno artifacts, or turn them in, in exchange for pcoins or something more worthwhile :-) I'm sure that will encourage more people to ditch their collection of trinkets for something more worthwhile, while in turn lowering the global item count.

batman2000

I agree with ferris, Allow us to turn in commodity deeds instead of having to drag piles of stuff on a packhorse. This would get rid of alot of resources imo. Also As i suggested before, use Tram deceit. This is a great dungeons because it has different levels and also is sectioned out pretty well. I suggest using the same bosses that you had in the custom dungeon. Also id like to make a suggestion also to fix the dungeon chests. They are fun to lock-pick them and get items. Right now they are preaos i believe and should be updated.

batman2000

Also id like to suggest something like Clean up Brit. Give points or pcoins for turning in dif level artifacts and other items that can be gotten but arent used in the game cept for show. I love stealable artifacts in dungeons but right now they are worthless except for showing off you have them. Make them worth something in the game.

i would have to vote against the resource wipe konstantine, at least for ingots and wool/yarn/cloth due to people like myself who have a large stock of these resources for bods.  I guess if there was a long advanced notice such as a month or longer then it might be ok.

OAN

Imo, feel free to delete all resources. Just hand out something in return of this "wipe" to reduce the rage a little bit. (only to accounts older then x months perhaps, as this wont effect new accounts such as my own i might add).

Will this reduce the lag? In my opinion it only stalls it for a few months until it builds back up again.
Now the Trash can idea should have been there for a long time, if you trash (or [donate) items, you get a small reward. This encourages people to do this more, and at the same time it cleans the shard out as your aiming for. win/win no harm done to anyone.

As for the newby dungeon, I personally like the idea of using Deceit. It really brings back memories and has all the rooms setup quite nicely to begin with. Some other option might be covetous (lvl4 i believe it was).

Would it help to change the gold/resources/stackables into a gump only triggered by a banker?

Axample: say "[enter word of choice]" near a banker to open your resource gump which can be used to target stackables to drop into your bank (but not as items but as text in the gump). you could even add on top of this that people can use this resourcebanker shared with the other characters one might have on an account. I understand if this requires a bit of coding but it might help reducing all the houses filled with ingots. if its still shared along the account in another way it might be the better option for some.

and a Cleaning mob at every bank that picks up all those items next to the trashcan would be nice:)

Thats all i can think of for now,
good luck on your search for a solution.

-oan

Tyrone Biggums

I vote against getting rid of the resources.

I am all for the clean up process but I think their is a ton of other things you can get rid of such as unnecessary decorations and stuff rather then the resources. As far as a turn in, I remember when OSI did it back in the early 2000's and it made people hunt things they wouldn't normally do. If I can think of anything else I'll post it but I'm not good at thinking to much....

:mrgreen:

The O Factor

I don't agree with wiping our resource supplies. I personally donate to the museum and the library. I also run a Vendor House in Luna. I need my resources to restock and build items that my vendors carry. I fill them daily! Getting rid of my resource stock means pulling down my vendors. Which means less vendors for our players. I do not afk resource gather, nor do I want to or plan to. I just think that it is a TERRIBLE Idea!!!! Putting in a system to clean up the shard would be a great idea, such as we donate items or throw items away....the more items, the better the items, the better the reward.
Or totally BAN AFK Resource gathering!

renton1231

I'd vote not to wipe resources as well.  I would however vote to stop automated resource gathering.

Donating certain tier items for points of some kind would be a good start though.  Only get points if the item meets certain requirements.  Or maybe beef up some of the rewards available in britain and vesper museum to be worth something.  That will eat up alot of the resources and ppl would feel rewarded for their use.

Also lowering the house allotment to say 2 or 3 per ip would free up alot of space.  Having 5 houses is a little unnecessary.

Cuemif Sampset

Quote from: "renton1231"Also lowering the house allotment to say 2 or 3 per ip would free up alot of space.  Having 5 houses is a little unnecessary.

This!!!!

batman2000

I think houses should fall quicker, this would get rid of alot of mess in the game as well.

Godric

Also against the resource wipe... I play one account, gate to my vendor with another but script lumberjacking on another, every now and then I spend a few hours donating to the museum for points and I'm hoping for this to become a good source of income - at the moment I don't earn much as I'm farming Swoop for greens/reds to unravel.

Slightly selfish reason for suggesting it, but being in the UK I struggle to be online when other people are grouping up for money-making hunts.

Saying that, I wasn't aware that me storing things was lagging the server out  :P  So if it's that much of an issue, create a new donation system for rewards to encourage those stockpiling items to donate more frequently instead. I still don't know where the Pandora artifacts come from, but maybe lesser versions of those - or the same but for more points - would be encouragement enough as some of them make me very happy to look at... very happy  :lol:

zaxarus

I am against a wipeout of resources. It makes no sense to me, because it will be a measure for a short time, but in this time, resources will be collected again (for natural purposes) and there will be the same problem again.
Better make a Token System, with two purposes:
1st: You can add resources (a bit like museum system) to get something.
2nd: You add minor artifacts (like ML stuff or virtue items etc.) and get a better artifact. A point which already was talked of; something like ToT System.
And let IDOC turn faster. Everyday I see houses of people, who seem to be ghosts. Never saw them with [c or actually running around, but they bunker tons of more or less useful stuff.

If you wipe all resources (maybe also of Resource Boxes??), that would be... not so cool. And after a period of time, you will have the same problems, as i said before.
I have no problem with banning AFK resourcing.
Tys

"My name is my name."

Pandora's New Global Chat

Updates & Events

White Walker Invasion Event by Miki McNaughty
[June 03, 2020, 03:52:32 AM]

Community

Need help please by Konan
[October 02, 2023, 12:49:41 PM]

Hi there, Im Coragin, my intro and a couple questions. by Coragin
[May 31, 2022, 01:16:13 AM]

Looking For Guild by Lovemachine100111