Main Menu
Welcome Guest.
Please log in.

Risk vs Reward...

Started by Jaxtron, July 19, 2010, 05:15:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaxtron

I didn't want to hijack the Thieves thread so thought I would throw this one up.  

I hear it mentioned quite often in an attempt to justify the "good stuff" going to Felucca ruled lands, trying to entice PvM players to venture there all to give more targets for the PK/griefers and more "fun".  If you are a PvP player, have the equipment for that, are out hunting other players, really what risk do you have?  Your stuff is insured, if you die you can get rezed without penalty, no stat loss that I know of, full town access (not limited to Serpent's Hold).  At the most you lose what, bandages which require harvesting wool from a few sheep.  So really where is the risk for the reward you get from killing a PvM player who has been out hunting for some time and taking what ever they gained from their hard work?

At this point, I see no penalty.  Shoot, you can even enter into the PvM event (which I find ironic since so many PKers rant against the PvM players and their desire for "easy mode").  Really, you can stoop so low as to join in on the PvM event?

Don't get me wrong, one of the many good things about this server is the balance between lands under Trammel and Felucca rules.  Plenty of room for everyone to play as they want.  I just find it interesting the constant spouting of "risk vs reward" and the risk seems really to be all one sided.  How many times have I heard people say in chat that PKers will wait at the champion spawn until a group finishes, come in, take what they can and ride off.  Where was the risk for them?  

Perhaps there are penalties I am not aware of?  If so, please enlighten me.

DarkShade

The risk vs reward concept concern the PvM players, not the PKs: You want a bigger reward, you take the risk of being the target of a PK since you're in a pvp territory, that's what it meant. No need to answer the rest of your post as it is based on a misunderstood concept.

As for the champion spawns, tracking, detecting hidden and reveal were introduced for a reason.

Astax

Enticed by the double mining rate I ventured to Delucca on the fel side so I could mine in the safety of the guardzone. 5 attempts on my life later I decided I had enough ore. I asked them on the way out "Why do you try so hard?"

One fellow died 3 times trying to kill me. First he used a purple potion. Then tried to use purple potion and his bow. Then the two and his pet. Shortly after I was assaulted by another scoundrel in wraithform who tried to painspike me.... He died, but right after another one popped out with a flamestrike. Of course I popped heal.  

Seems like harmless fun mostly. But I must say that a lot of softies must venture there if they thought all those weak tactics would kill me.  Though on a flip side if all of them hit me at once, I would be toast :) Next time I'll insure my luck suit, although I don't want to seem like a sissy.

Kontact

for a pvm'er in a pvp facet, they can greatly reduce any 'risk' by just insuring their shit, so ok they die, big woop if they are insured they dont loose nuffin cept a minute walking back to a healer lol. if u do a champ use a bag of sending and soon as champ dies hide, and send scrolls back to the bank or something. like if u take the risk of going to pvp facet and you dont insure ur stuff, you deserve to loose it lol

Jaxtron

QuoteThe risk vs reward concept concern the PvM players, not the PKs: You want a bigger reward, you take the risk of being the target of a PK since you're in a pvp territory, that's what it meant. No need to answer the rest of your post as it is based on a misunderstood concept.

Ok, I will make is simple since reading the post is too much for you.  What is your risk?  You are getting a reward?  Shouldn't you be risking also?

Jaxtron

Quotefor a pvm'er in a pvp facet, they can greatly reduce any 'risk' by just insuring their shit, so ok they die, big woop if they are insured they dont loose nuffin cept a minute walking back to a healer lol. if u do a champ use a bag of sending and soon as champ dies hide, and send scrolls back to the bank or something. like if u take the risk of going to pvp facet and you dont insure ur stuff, you deserve to loose it lol

When I go to a pvp facet, I take my bankstone.  Be it resource gathering, hunting what ever, anything I get I dump in my bank. And yea, EVERYTHING is insured. Shoot, on my crafter I even insure the apron and shoes I wear just so when they open the corpse, there is nothing. 600gp to know they will not profit, it is well worth it.  I have never actually even seen anyone when mining in Fel but some day, maybe.

My point is one side takes risk for the reward.  The other side risks nothing that I can see for the reward.

Kontact

i suppose the risk of pk' in fel lands, is not knowing who or how good your target is lol you might think your about to merk sum nub then they turn around and mess u up, or there is like 4 of their friends stealthed nearby lol the only risk on either side really is the risk of loosing about 2k insurance money and a bag of regs which u can earn back in like 5 seconds anyway. so really if you insure ur stuff whether ur a pvp or pvm'er the only real risk is about 5k in insurance/regs + a 2 minute wait on help/helpstuck to get back to an ank lol

Kontact

it would appear from my observations that there is a greater risk of getting a bruised ego more than anything on pandora :P (yall kno who u r)

Zephyr

FINALLY someone brought this up. This and (shimmering hiryu) are the only things that bother me about this shard!  
PVP is amazing, its the reason to play UO. BUT what made the pvp so great was, its was not a pointless frag fest like counter strike, WoW, Age of Conan, Guildwars, ANY other game out there today. HERE is why:
 1. Ability to loot.
 2. Can be done almost anywhere.
 3. and the most important one... RISK vs REWARD.

Now when WE (real uo players) speak of Risk vs Reward, it is meant that the decision about initiating battle with someone was thought out! For example... im a blue strolling along and see another blue farming or whatnot... now you would decide let by gones be by gones and be defensive... OR decide the risk of TURING RED was worth it. And here is the problem.... WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE OF BEING A RED or BLUE on this shard? NOTHING. (dont be lame and say color.) REDS do not have to stay to fel faucet areas... they can use towns freely(trammel), they can even join PVM events.... wtf?  

What made pvp so sweet was the balance and choice... Is not being able to go to trammel, or CONSTANTLY having to fight for my life worth grieving this poor minor? Cuz in my day there was BLUE vs RED action everywhere, it was awesome. Reds had to stick together to survive as did blues. anyways what im saying is Kon PLEASE consider making the decision of pking an actual decision.... thats all.

Belegerandh

Still looks like enticing pvmers to entertain the pvpers to me.

Not hard to attack a loot hunter who is occupied, his GD fighting something and taking constant heals .. and wearing a luck suit so his loot merits the 'risk'. Cool, I get to make some fun for a 'killer'.

Where's the risk vs reward, however, for a murderer going to a tram shard? None; they get to be fashionably correct in front of a bank and bling like Britney.

Not botherin' me but if it's -supposed- to be a mix of pvp/pvm you can't just give pvm'er 1 day of week, chopped in half (on/off) and call it a Trammie Tuesday to make it 'balanced', especially during the work week.

If a 'killer' wants to track someone in a luck suit then they should have to do the hard work and use their skills given to them. This is only making stuff more difficult for the pvmers.

Not bitchin', just sayin' ..

King Kong

Next week a fully Automatic PVP Tourny goes in that will go multiple times a day.

Also will have a automatic Ice Block event where Bucs Den goes crazy.

Long Live the King... So please vote everyday. Cause I want to live.

King Kong

Oh one more thing.. Shimmering bothers me too, but it pays the expensive server bills. Also a Shimmering only really owns monsters, not players. (this was changed a bit last patch)

Long Live the King... So please vote everyday. Cause I want to live.

Astax

You guys are very silly. You say PK has no risk, that's not true, he can die also. Maybe he is less likely to die because has pvp suit and not a Luck suit. But guess what! His reward is also much smaller. He gets few K from killing you.  Even if he kills your monster he doesn't wear luck suit. And your risk is very small. You only lose item insurance and some regs. You can get phat loots so your reward is high.

Belegerandh

Ya, I guess I had a 'tone' when I posted and I apologize for that. Every time I tried to take advantage of the Tuesday thing in Tokuno the stone was red and that was a little annoying. We have two places to hunt in interim so that's not a lot of option because the chance of getting whacked is pretty d*mn good considering.

I don't have any beef with the reds or what they do. Quite a few of my friends are red themselves and they're friended to my castle, (they) leaving me room to even afk while they use my rune books. PVM is a necessary evil for me to stock my vendors which are my primary concern being more merchant minded in UO. That's kinda where my conflict lies, being protective of my stuff and how I get it. (Ya, I can 'send' stuff and insure but I'm not doing that with everything I find and don't care to have to.)

Still don't see your point fully, though, on the aggressor being at risk so much when I see so much [c about res-kill 'spam' to get past everyone's insurance cost. There's a pretty broad line between being a pvp'er and being a d*ck and some seem to feel it's too narrow instead. Hell, those dudes don't even have their luck suits to protect them half the time lol

So, ya, when stealth is being nerfed in favor of the PK I feel like saying something, even if that 'tone' yesterday wasn't cool. Again, apologies to Kon and those others who felt it may have been directed toward them.

Articus

Looking forward to the PvP events, I wonder what they are going to be like......? :)

Pandora's New Global Chat

Updates & Events

White Walker Invasion Event by Miki McNaughty
[June 03, 2020, 03:52:32 AM]

Community

Need help please by Konan
[October 02, 2023, 12:49:41 PM]

Hi there, Im Coragin, my intro and a couple questions. by Coragin
[May 31, 2022, 01:16:13 AM]

Looking For Guild by Lovemachine100111
[May 06, 2022, 11:01:22 AM]

Saying Hello by Roxxorman