Main Menu
Welcome Guest.
Please log in.

Risk vs Reward...

Started by Jaxtron, July 19, 2010, 05:15:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaxtron

QuotePostby Articus ยป Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:07 pm
I second the statement that most of the BEST gear will come from crafting with Runic crafting tools, craftable recipes from heartwood or britain/vesper donations.

I have to say, enjoying crafting as much, if not more than PvM, I like the fact that some of the best stuff is crafted.  But then, crafting has always been such a strong part of UO where as most other MMOs it is more of an after thought.

Belegerandh

lol After reading all of this I had to ..

Not saying nothin' but laughing my @$$ off!

b0bb0wen

When I think of risk vs. reward I think of Fel having normally harder mosters to fight, also the chance of a possible pk encounter or bumping into a enemy faction on the route to or from your destination. I don't consider "you survived a camping pk's attack while trying to fight an already tough monster spawn" a creditable risk factor. Many pk's thrive on the pvm players because we are "normally" easy prey. We are usually using "monster equipment or luck" and in a mindset to better up on the monster not a monster and a pk poking us in the back with a deadly poisoned kyrss while we are getting already punished by say an Paragon such and such. This is weak tactics and only shows that you are not a fan of pvp, you enjoy ruining your victims gametime. There truely is no risk for the Pk. I guarantee if Pk's lost stats or had to sit in their houses as ghost for days like in the old days alot on this server would chance fast. But, since Pk's are free to travel through trammel and fellucia without a true fear of their status it is always going to be onesided as to who truely has the "risk" factor in this system. I would personally like to salute the Pk's who actually play the role of an honorable Pk and hunt people in open ground, also for the ones that don't wait for you to be tangled up with a truely nasty beast before sinking their weapon into your back. I believe Factions were developed to try and give the pvp players more room to assault other players. I honestly feel this server should lean more towards rewarding the "true pvp's" through faction battles rather than always forcing pvm players to watch their backs during a long or challenging battle. (Perhaps make faction campaigns to control cities in trammel or fellucia with nice rewards for the controllers)I mean really, I run through the old towns these days and don't even see a soul in them.

I have asked that the staff please consider maybe adding the champ spawns to trammel facets also or completely so that pvm players have a better chance at some of the rewards that can only be given by them. Afterall, If it is safe for Pk's to safely walk through trammel then they too would benefit from this change. It would make it more balanced for all players of pvp and pvm styles. There would still be the interest of going to fellucia and trying to reap rewards of a "harder" spawning system, but would also make it to where everyone could actually "enjoy" the challenge of doing the champs spawn without the fear of "ok, barracoon just popped wheres the pk's gonna come from?" I'm just asking for some balance between pvp and pvm. Having everything in this game that is actually worth trying for camped by pk's all the time is not showing much love for your pvm supporters. Many of us love every aspect of this server except for the "no true risk for pk" exceptions you have installed. Personally I feel a champ spawn or Paragon can be tough enough to handle without a deadly poisoned dagger getting shoved in my back. So why not share the love given to the pvp players to your pvm players? Give us an opportunity to have some reward for all the hard work we too put into playing this game. All we ask is that we can enjoy some of the fruits of the better challenges without the fear of dying everytime we even get near a rewarding spawn zone.  Sorry, I know its long and drawn but needed to be said. Thanks for reading.

Domos

It just got even harder with the new stealth system, before if you got jumped the pk had to be quick and if he failed you could stealth and be on your way. Now you got a time limit before you can stealth and if you get revealed its game over. I was amazed at how much less survivability I have now.

tweekzz

it really makes it next to impossible when you can only get decent drops, or ps's in fel, and everytime you try and do so, you get disrupted by wither spamming pks right at the end or w/e so they can finish off the boss and ruin an hour or so worth of work, it really makes trying almost pointless. if you ever want any competition in pvp, or even a good pvp base of more than 10 ppl, id suggest killing eachother for a while and leaving the limited spawns be unless your going to run them yourselves.

Deadmau5

You realize that champion spawns were introduced for the main purpose of promoting pvp in felucia?

Belegerandh

I think what some people feel is that PVM'ers are promoted as a PVP'ers fun in the profitable facets. I don't have any disrespect for any of the PVP'ers, save for one, but I kinda value my time off from work and don't feel like being the 'server meat' in my limited 'fun time'.

Ya, I'm on a lot but that's usually afk time (for the sake of the shard's player count because I actually care about that but even that's changed and my dutiful voting too since the stealth changes) while I'm at work, over an hour away and in another state. That doesn't give me much time to play and less time to care if someone wants to be a jack@$$ at my expense, using an ingame way of robbing my real time playing. Just how I feel about it.

Domos

On OSI you cant even do a champ any more for the same reason, doesnt matter what time of day or which champ, some guild is going to show up and roll you right at the end. So you got to post guards at the entrance but that barely works most of the time. Best way to fix the problem is to auto "close" the champ when its 50-75% done, nobody new goes in at that point. The reds still get a shot at the scrolls but the but you get a chance to get away or a fair fight if u want it.

tweekzz

I like domos idea, that would actually be half decent, atleast you would have time to prepare to defend your ps's after you kill the champ spawn or w/e before actually having to do so. not with 38 health and in rat form deadly poisoned being wither spammed to death. lol

Deadmau5

Here is a direct quote from UOGuide that talks about champion spawns:

Champion spawns were re-introduced during Publish 16 as a way to reinvigorate the dead Felucca landscape. The purpose was to "Establish an area where non-consensual PvP  can thrive for a significant number of UO's players" and "Provide meaningful and compelling rewards for players that successfully adventure in the specified areas." The system was a smashing success drawing hundreds of players per shard to Felucca, many who vowed never to go back and some who had never ventured there before.

Just because PVM'ers are trying to solo or 2 man spawns and get pked does not mean they should be changed to make them easier to do.  Just do them with more people next time.

tweekzz

That was said in reference to "osi" shards with 1500+ people, not 200... and nobody's saying make them easier, im not atleast. but i do think domos' idea is good, after you get like 2/3 of the red skulls up in a champ spawn, the area should be closed until the champ is dead at the least, then if the pks want to wait and come in after, and have atleast a half assed fair fight, have at'er. it would make it more worth while to go because you know youre not going to sit there forever only to get ganked right at the end and not even get to finish. i personally think a fair fight is far more fun then ganking, or being ganked, even if i lose.

Dr Seuss

I personally think closing off a champ spawn so far into it is pointless. You know when you go to a champ spawn that you have that chance of being raided. That is part of it and that is part of the fight. Closing the champ spawn down would end the fighting for champ spawns and the fun. If your scared of being raided then you need to go at non peak times or go with several people who can hold off the raiding party. Fighting in the star room has it's moments but for the most part it's not that exciting. Why would you want something designed for pvp to be trammied out? Even if you dont like pvp you can still get champs done man. There are not a whole lot of Reds running around to come in and kill you at the end.

Deadmau5

If you are complaining about not being able to complete a spawn on a shard with as many players as we have now then you are blind to how impossible it is on OSI to do the same.  Fel is supposed to be dangerous because of non-consensual PvP.  It should not be made trammy friendly because they simply can't do some of the things that other people can in fel.  Go get a huge group of trammys and hunt the pk's for a change if you want.

Belegerandh

I agree to that. OSI Fel is as impossible as it gets to do a champ spawn without some kinda help. It's just what I've grown to expect of that and I don't have a problem with it; I wasn't aware others did but .. lol

I think I'll sum up how I see the pvp Vs. pvm as I see it with this: pvp'ers (not all but a lot) are in the same damn faction, telling me who they prefer to fight. Take a look in front of the dojo at the pk houses too sometime. That's where pvm'ers try to get a few arties. Hell, our work weeks (mine being app 12 hour days) don't allow us a Tokuno Tuesday, especially chopped into an hour here and there. -IF- I had a Tuesday off I still have to do primary care for my grandparents who are pushing 90, running them to doctors, physicians, getting their meals made up, administering meds, on and on.

Not saying I do any more that anyone else but Tuesday just doesn't happen for me. Not tryin to b*tch either: just maybe not the shard I need to be on.

Shirey Jenkins

All we need to do to solve this problem is recruit members to a PKK (PK Killers) guild and have our own fun. Turn the tables so to speak. It would be rather exciting. Anyone interested, pm me!

Pandora's New Global Chat

Updates & Events

White Walker Invasion Event by Miki McNaughty
[June 03, 2020, 03:52:32 AM]

Community

Need help please by Konan
[October 02, 2023, 12:49:41 PM]

Hi there, Im Coragin, my intro and a couple questions. by Coragin
[May 31, 2022, 01:16:13 AM]

Looking For Guild by Lovemachine100111
[May 06, 2022, 11:01:22 AM]

Saying Hello by Roxxorman