Main Menu
Welcome Guest.
Please log in.

Mining for gems?

Started by Lochnar, March 25, 2012, 02:43:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lochnar

Can the larger gems be mined for on this shard? I've been mining for two days now and not a single gem has come up (105 mining skill).

Wikanne

I read somewhere that gems from mining are now much harder to get. I know my boyfriend has been running a bot for a while now and has not seen a single gem. I have also heard a few other people saying the same thing or saying they find 1 or 2 gems every few days... Konstantine said he would look into it, Im not sure if he did yet.

I have been looking for gems on vendors, some still sell them but certain gems are getting harder to find... I havent ask anyone, im mostly just looking on vendors.

So to answer your question, yes you can gems from mining, its just really hard right now...

King Kong

Quote from: "Wikanne"I read somewhere that gems from mining are now much harder to get. I know my boyfriend has been running a bot for a while now and has not seen a single gem. I have also heard a few other people saying the same thing or saying they find 1 or 2 gems every few days... Konstantine said he would look into it, Im not sure if he did yet.

I have been looking for gems on vendors, some still sell them but certain gems are getting harder to find... I havent ask anyone, im mostly just looking on vendors.

So to answer your question, yes you can gems from mining, its just really hard right now...

Also in Ter Mur Tomb of Kings, Niporloium the Thief will drop jewels. he's not to hard

Long Live the King... So please vote everyday. Cause I want to live.

Kotosar

mining is kinda lost atm imo no gems, gargoyle picks nolonger pull elie's, and top it off no holy stones... whats the fate of mining now? I think the old setup for mining was good with all the above working, just restrict afk bot mining to pvp areas to help regulate their income, plus make it worth doing once more, fires up some new form of afk hunters in pvp lands :) just a thought i had...
Be real or be dead, for life is a gift given to all.

Wikanne

Niporloium the Thief only seem to be droping common gems. Killed him a few times already. Maybe im just unlucky mind you, but he doesnt seem to be droping mining quality gems. I got ambers from him but thats all. Those common gems are easy enough to get. Ton of mobs drop them so they really arent the issue.  Only way I know to obtain the rare quality gems is mining, and they arent droping at all right now. Maybe with 120 mining you can get 2-3 a week... but mining powerscroll also seem to be non existant. I havent seen a single one on vendors, nobody seem to know where to get them either. So with 100 mining and a Bot running all day long for one week, zero gem is kinda depressing. I'm starting to wonder if it's even possible to get gems at 100.

I have been buying my gems because I have no other way to get them. While it's cool that I still have a way to get them (while the supply last anyway), it would be cool to be able get them myself instead of buying them. Even if I get one gem only per 24 hours or something, I don't mind, I just would love the ability to obtain them myself.

On the other hand, lumberjacking, with only 100 skill, you can get ton and ton of brilliant ambers, parasitic plants and other "rare". Maybe a bit too many even. It's really just mining that seems broken atm.

This is just my point of view. I am not whining or complaining. I just think the nerf on the gems drop rate was a bit too big. Maybe up it a tiny bit.

Thoughts ?

kej

from what I've read there are no power scrolls for mining, the best you can get is 105 skill by wearing the +5 mining gloves (gargoyles cant wear them ). so far as gems go your supposed to read a book from the blacksmiths in ter mur, but the book doesnt exist on this server.

info gathered from stratics and uo wiki

Sxw3

You can get those gems from treasure chests, and the easiest way to get them is form prisoners camps that spawn in tramel and felucca.

Lochnar

We're getting off track here. Just because there are alternate means of obtaining these gems does not mean that it's ok you can't get them mining...

King Kong

Quote from: "Lochnar"We're getting off track here. Just because there are alternate means of obtaining these gems does not mean that it's ok you can't get them mining...

Truthfully, whatever the shard is it kind of what has to be "ok" at the time. But gems are being gotten from mining. Just rare. I do know that. And I don't seem them in a huge demand, meaning people are finding a way to get them without mining.

Mining is a thing people have a couple going 24.7 with a script, if it was easy then gems wouldn't even be worth putting in your bank.

Hidden

And here I was mining the old fashioned way with 100 skill until I gave up on finding gems and had to buy 100 gems for 100k with my life-savings, when I only needed 14 of em. Then I see this thread. Sigh...

I'm surprised afk mining is allowed... Figured that would go under "gathering wealth while afk".

Setting the rate lower just because some people afk gather isn't right imo if that's what has happened. Basically you are making people who wouldn't normally afk gather do it in order to get a decent number of them. I'm just saying that alternate methods shouldn't get shafted. (As, I'm afraid of fighting hard mobs... Everything seems to 3-6 hit you in UO. xD)

Also, I have had no trouble getting the stuff I need for my crafting from lumber-jacking, don't know why this has to be different.

Tommy Boy

Quote from: "Hidden"And here I was mining the old fashioned way with 100 skill until I gave up on finding gems and had to buy 100 gems for 100k with my life-savings, when I only needed 14 of em. Then I see this thread. Sigh...

It's because every freeshard administrator/owner, just like EA on the official servers, thinks they can regulate the AFK resource gatherers by implementing things like this.  It's even more goofy on freeshards since most allow the use of easyuo and AFK scripting.  Make it legal to AFK resource gather yet put in changes to hinder the ability to do so.

In reality all things like this do is make it so that nobody but the AFKrs get these resources because everyone else just gives up.  The AFKrs run 24/7 and although they gather less, the casual player gets none because of the attempt to limit what the AFKrs can gather.

King Kong

Quote from: "Tommy Boy"
Quote from: "Hidden"And here I was mining the old fashioned way with 100 skill until I gave up on finding gems and had to buy 100 gems for 100k with my life-savings, when I only needed 14 of em. Then I see this thread. Sigh...

It's because every freeshard administrator/owner, just like EA on the official servers, thinks they can regulate the AFK resource gatherers by implementing things like this.  It's even more goofy on freeshards since most allow the use of easyuo and AFK scripting.  Make it legal to AFK resource gather yet put in changes to hinder the ability to do so.

In reality all things like this do is make it so that nobody but the AFKrs get these resources because everyone else just gives up.  The AFKrs run 24/7 and although they gather less, the casual player gets none because of the attempt to limit what the AFKrs can gather.

The rate wasn't changed because of AFK gathers, it was for economy.

And I don't like easyUO use, but I can say it's illegal and people will still use it un detected & takes to much time and resource for my staff to always be trying to bust people.

When you run a free shard for years you will understand this. Everyone has an opinion and I respect it. But there are other variables to consider.

Tommy Boy

Quote from: "Konstantine"The rate wasn't changed because of AFK gathers, it was for economy.

That's exactly what EA said about randomizing resources.  It's for the economy.  But what happened is that now, on EA servers, virtually the only players still mining or lumberjacking are the scripters.

So here's an example using ML gems.

So Mondain's Legacy gems are obtainable and at a respectable rate which enables the casual player to mine and collect enough ML gems to use to craft with and maybe sell some too.  So what do ML gems sell for? Maybe 1k per so 100 / 100k gold.  Cool.  So the 24/7 AFK scripters mine a lot of gems and sell pretty much all of them and thus help to keep the price down low for them.

Now, you put in changes which severely restrict the rate the ML gems spawn.  So now, the casual players mines for hours and hours because he needs some ML gems but he gets none or so few as to notice it's gonna take days to get enough to craft with.  So he gives up and goes out to buy some.

Well since the AFK player running 1,2, or 3 bots 24/7 just keeps collecting them but now at the lower rate, now he sells ML gems for 50k per.  I've seen it happen for every single resource that is ever reduced in this way.  The casual players quits even trying to collect them and the AFK scripters get filthy rich.  It ends up with the same result every time.

Tommy Boy

Hidden

Quote from: "Konstantine"The rate wasn't changed because of AFK gathers, it was for economy.

But... Aren't those things directly related?
Those afk gatherers mean an increase in said item compared to normal circumstances where people aren't afk gathering...

Those afk miners can get enough resources to change the economy (adding more of the "rare" items into it). Here is the point, I don't think a non-afking miner is getting heaps of gems to change the economy at a .6% rate normally. That's like one gem every 4 pickaxes store-bought or so. That's about 25 gems per 100 picks, or 25 gems for 5000 uses. By looking at it this way we can see the amount of time it would take a normal person to get 25 gems. Normal mining isn't the problem with the economy for these gems. xP

Jupiter

I get all my gems from Tmas and SoS. I imbue alot and I still have hundreds of each kind. I never realized people wanted them so badly. Maybe im sitting on a gold mine here without realizing it...

Pandora's New Global Chat

Updates & Events

White Walker Invasion Event by Miki McNaughty
[June 03, 2020, 03:52:32 AM]

Community

Need help please by Konan
[October 02, 2023, 12:49:41 PM]

Hi there, Im Coragin, my intro and a couple questions. by Coragin
[May 31, 2022, 01:16:13 AM]

Looking For Guild by Lovemachine100111
[May 06, 2022, 11:01:22 AM]

Saying Hello by Roxxorman