Main Menu
Welcome Guest.
Please log in.

Casters... (idea)

Started by jamisoncrzy, October 07, 2012, 06:09:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamisoncrzy

I could be wrong on this but seems like casters do no where near the damage as bashers. Using weps with slayers, honor, EOO and AP I can do quite a bit of damage, 200-400 dmg a hit. I have never seen even 100 dmg hits with a spell using a caster with slayer spell books.

Bashers cant use chiv spells unless they have -5000 karma or better (i try to keep mine at 15000) which bashers kinda need chiv.

So I was thinking why not casters with -7000 or lower karma a dmg boost on spells?

Right now casters seem useless. A friend did a champ with me in PVM room and he was using a caster I was bashing... He didnt even get looting rights when the champ finally died.

Right now it seems like everyone is working hard on this shard for the same suit of gear.. Why not switch it up bit and make casting much better? So it can compete with bashers. Maybe a very very skilled caster could beat a basher in a duel here but I doubt it. Casters do no where near the same dmg and the decent dmg spells are nerfed/take longer to cast. You can defend yourself like that... If your a caster.

Another thing I was thinking about.. I mentioned above everyone is working for same suit of gear... Make EVERY equip in this game imbuable... Theres tons of items laying around that will never even be used because they cant be imbued. (mainly arties) 

Anyone else agree or want to share your opinion please do :)

Horns Nigel

I need to think on this a bit...hmmmm

Im not sure I agree that everyone is looking for the same gear, as a tamer I tend to go for high luck wear, and let my dragons take the brunt all of the attacks.

As for casting, again I really dont use it much, but I also dont use weapons much other then one throwing weapon and thats just to assist my pets with the kills.
I really dont have a problem increasing casting, but im sure the PvPers will have more to say on this subject then us PvMers....Nigel
Nigel Horns Guild leader and Surgeon (SoP) Seekers of Peace, Pandora UO   
Aligned with D.A.T. That Guild and KoN

Alifanfaron

When I PVM, I'm mainly a caster and I am VERY effective. Get your SDI up and have a slayer spellbook for anything you fight. Use the right spells. If you know what you're doing, being a spellcaster in PVM is not just as good as melee, but often times better (key phrase being 'if you know what you're doing'). So speaking from extensive experience here, I respectfully but strongly disagree with you.

As for PVP, I'm with you. The SDI cap in PVP makes being a straight spellcaster all but impossible. On the flip side, if you were all melee with no spells, you'd be equally ineffective. The key with PVP is to find a balance in what you use and when you use it. Pandora has a good balance right now, after years of tweaks and testing. I personally don't see a need to change anything. Chances are if something (like spellcasting) seems inexplicably useless to you, then you're probably doing it wrong :)
"Stop quoting things I never said"  -Maggdalena

jamisoncrzy

I really do not think casting here can be better than bashing.. That is something I would have to see for my self. The damage is weak and casting is slow and you still have to keep yourself alive in champ spawn situations. I started out as a caster here almost a year ago and found champ spawns very difficult which is whole reason I switched my character. And now casting is even harder. I couldnt imagine doing a champ now with only a caster. Let alone the champ at the end with just casting.. I think you would spend more time dead than anything.

For tamers, GDs seem to be popular but its pretty hard just to keep them alive now that most monsters/champs/peerless got buffed and pets didnt.

Alifanfaron

Again, for PVM, if you have the right gear and are using the right spells, then it's not a problem at all. With the right combinations of spells, I can get off 3 fireballs at over 100 damage each in the time it takes you to hit something once. Out of curiosity, what is your SDI? Do you use slayer spellbooks? What spells are you using?

jamisoncrzy

I use a total of 5 macros for combat and one of them is for healing. I use no scripts because they seem to be more of a problem than help to me. lol. The only time I die is when something 1 shots me. Which really gets under my skin. ha.

Its fairly easy to stay alive as a basher with life leach effects/spells.

Theres not much life leech with casting.

jamisoncrzy

With caster gear I have over 100 SDI but much not past that. I have quite a few slayer books. Spells are a pain IMO. Weak spells are fairly quick but the good spells take a bit to cast such as flame strike.

Alifanfaron

Quote from: jamisoncrzy on October 07, 2012, 07:09:08 PMSpells are a pain IMO. Weak spells are fairly quick but the good spells take a bit to cast such as flame strike.

This may be semantics, but if you consider low circle spells "weak" and high circle spells "good," then you're definitely going about it the wrong way. What are you using besides magery?

Johana

I agree with Ali on this subject.  Slayer spell books and knowing what to cast is effective for PVM including champs spawns.   Under the right conditions I can cast 600 damage combos on Dark Father and can single cast ebolt for 400+ on Semidar.

Saturn

I started off as a caster. But after they nerfed wither/necro i switched over to a basher. Everything has been restored, but i find i enjoy the basher play style more now. I think its mostly easier to be a caster when youre first starting, all you need is high LRC/LMC/SDI, which is relatively easy to get a suit with those caps. But its much harder making your perfect melee combat suit....it all boils down to what i learned from comics as a child; "HULK SMASH!!!"
Bring all your gold down to Pandora Supplies! We have everything you're looking for! South West Luna.

Pandora's New Global Chat

Updates & Events

White Walker Invasion Event by Miki McNaughty
[June 03, 2020, 03:52:32 AM]

Community

Need help please by Konan
[October 02, 2023, 12:49:41 PM]

Hi there, Im Coragin, my intro and a couple questions. by Coragin
[May 31, 2022, 01:16:13 AM]

Looking For Guild by Lovemachine100111
[May 06, 2022, 11:01:22 AM]

Saying Hello by Roxxorman